Author Topic: where to sell 18th century bells?  (Read 11072 times)

Offline kakeja

where to sell 18th century bells?
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
hi im new here. i just would like to ask for any idea where to sell a 7 ft bell with markings of 18th century and a flower design... other details are not yet sent to me as well as the picture.. it is estimated to weigh 3 to 5 tons, thank you for your replies

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
Re: where to sell 18th century bells?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
hi im new here. i just would like to ask for any idea where to sell a 7 ft bell with markings of 18th century and a flower design... other details are not yet sent to me as well as the picture.. it is estimated to weigh 3 to 5 tons, thank you for your replies

Exactly where is this HUGE bell located (City and Country)? I'm sure everyone here would love to see photos of that!
TW

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:29:21 AM »

Exactly where is this HUGE bell located (City and Country)? I'm sure everyone here would love to see photos of that!
TW

Actually I know of a river that has TWO such bells dumped in the middle of the river.  HOWEVER they are clamed by a church, which is their right as it was their bells dumped in 1941 to prevent the Japs from taking the bronze, but also claimed by the NPA !!!  I won't argue with either.  So, this is not totally implausible.

Some 5 years ago we pondered pulling them out but it would require a large track tractor and a good sized high pressure water pump to hydraulic them loose from the mud and silt in the river.  Oh well, for another day I must say.

Sorry, no pictures, as they are covered up to just the water level.  BUT we know the church they came from.

Z

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 06:58:04 AM »

TW

Actually I know of a river that has TWO such bells dumped in the middle of the river.  HOWEVER they are clamed by a church, which is their right as it was their bells dumped in 1941 to prevent the Japs from taking the bronze, but also claimed by the NPA !!!  I won't argue with either.  So, this is not totally implausible.

Some 5 years ago we pondered pulling them out but it would require a large track tractor and a good sized high pressure water pump to hydraulic them loose from the mud and silt in the river.  Oh well, for another day I must say.

Sorry, no pictures, as they are covered up to just the water level.  BUT we know the church they came from.

Z

Are those supposed to be in the PHILIPPINES or WHERE? I have heard about a huge bell in Myanmar that was lost a few hundred years ago when the Portuguese were trying to steal it (Barge overturned and sank in the main river there) but I have not heard of any such bell(s) lost in the Philippines.
TW

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »
Yes, the bells are in the Philippines, NOT Luzon.  We have been there and talked to the locals about it.  Since this is for us a long term project I prefer to not say where.

It is not our plan to keep them but return to the town/church area they came from BUT we do want to keep the story of the recovery.  The truth I am not sure if they were Spanish or Portuguese originally.  They were used both as church bells and as a signal for incoming Muslim pirates that raided the coast.

Z

Offline kakeja

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:17:49 PM »
the bell is in secured area.. i am from philippines so its here.. pictures are still on the process.. its very difficult to penetrate the area because its raining now a days.. does anyone knows who buys these stuffs. the last thing they told me... it has a flower design and an 18th century mark

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
the bell is in secured area.. i am from philippines so its here.. pictures are still on the process.. its very difficult to penetrate the area because its raining now a days.. does anyone knows who buys these stuffs. the last thing they told me... it has a flower design and an 18th century mark

Maybe after we see those (photos) and dimensions we will be better able to assist you with finding a buyer.
TW

Offline ghost

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 01:01:10 AM »
I think those bell/s is/are illegal to sell since it is a church property and part of our national history during the Spanish era.  >:(

bovic32

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 01:28:03 AM »
I think those bell/s is/are illegal to sell since it is a church property and part of our national history during the Spanish era.  >:(

Ghost
If ever you find that thing, what you should do?Donate?

Offline ghost

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 02:48:53 AM »
It is the most noble thing to do on my part. But ask first if there was a church who have lost/stolen bell for last 50-70 years in nearby places/provinces and ask the distinguishing mark to compare since the church has documents also for those thing - before returning it to them (church). This is only my own perception on the matter.

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »

This sounds more Malaysian or Asian ( Chinese or Jap).

Everything belonged to someone at some time in history.

The Philippines belonged to some before the Muslims invaded, then the Spanish and then the Americans.  Perhaps all the mixed blood should leave.  But then if we are all humans we all came from Adam and Eve.  So that goes back in a circle.

All the gold bars marked Burma belonged to someone at one time but I doubt anyone here is going to give them to Burma and let Burma sort it out.

Bottom line, if it was war treasure and it can be found to belong to an existing church then give it back to the existing church.

Recent tactic by the Know Nothing Aquino is to declare all war treasure as 'historical' or 'cultural' to the Philippine Government.  But remember, it was buried on American soil during the war.  Hmmmm.

Z

Offline boybogets

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »
I thinks its against the law to sell bells, in cebu thieves strike anywhere the stole anything even old relics bells is of no exception
The Filipino People is Worth Dying Poor

Offline kakeja

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 09:15:39 AM »
thats what i thought too, but a find is a find.. we cant just spend explore dig climb sweat and be at risk for nothing