Author Topic: Imperial Japanese Geodetic Survey, Mapmaking,Maps: In context to Ph. T. Hunting  (Read 95673 times)

Offline zeeker

what if wait for the water to get clear, then have a scuba diver assess the tunnel situation?
continue the journey

Offline fom1113

You got plenty of signs. Your site is 100% positive. The missing one in your operation is my pinpointing. The tombstone is about 10 meters away from the first target. The scanning device's pinpoint spot is also several meters away from that first target. The depth is in between 10 to 15 meters.

I'm willing to help provided you agree to my demand of 7% share including transpo and meal allowance.
Failures made them perfect yet perfect are generous to make themselves masters of their knowledge!

Offline ZOBEX

what if wait for the water to get clear, then have a scuba diver assess the tunnel situation?

I tried that as well.  Thought it would be a quick solution, but the problem is this.  A flooded tunnel will be full of soft silt or mud and as soon as someone starts to kick up the water by moving in it, turns into a murky cloudy mess that even with portable lights you are lucky to see 1 meter in front of yourself.  It's is not like swimming in a sea cave where the tunnel has been constantly flushed clean by lots of moving water.  It's also creepy.  Don't be claustrophobic. 

Z

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
JOURNEY TOTHE CENTER OF THE PHILIPPINES

A writer revisits the datum origin of all surveying and mapping activities in the country
MOGPOG, Marinduque – In 1911, the American surveyors left a stone marker at the peak of the “Mataas na Bundok” in the northwestern portion of Marinduque island. It was tagged as the datum origin of all surveying and mapping activities in the Philippines.
Yet, can we consider Station Balanacan, which is popularly known as the “Luzon Datum” the center of the Philippines as it was perceived through the years?

“Not really, but the issue is now irrelevant,” said Deputy Administrator Jose Cabanayan Jr. of the National Mapping and Resource Information Authority (NAMRIA).
Cabanayan noted that Station Balanacan remains the country’s datum origin – or the county’s reference system, even with the emergence of a world geodetic system. The Luzon Datum remains the “center of all centers” if a network of interlocking triangles were used to determine positions.

Historical significance
In 2011, the National Historical Commission unveiled a historical marker of the “Datum Origin of the Luzon Datum of 1911” in recognition of its significant role in the history of the Philippine surveying and mapping.
According to NAMRIA documents, Balanacan as a geodetic origin began as early as 1901 when the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey (USCGS) conducted a series of scientific and cartographic initiatives in its newfound colony in 1901.
Initially, there were 39 other stations, but the USCGS adopted the Station Balanacan as the“mother of all survey monuments (or ‘mojon’).”
All surveys from 1901 to 1927 were then corrected and based on the position of the Station Balanacan (Latitude 13 33’ 41”.00 North, Longitude 121 52’ 03.000 East) .
A geodetic station was said to be in the Luzon Datum if it is connected by continuous triangulation from Station Balanacan.
The formed triangulation network then spanned vast distances with stations that were located on high mountain peaks and far across straits and channels.
In 1946, when the country was granted independence, the USCGS developed the Philippine Geodetic Network (PGN), which consisted of a narrow chain of triangular stations concentrated along the coastal areas for triangulation and hydrographic surveys,
The Philippine Bureau of Coast and Geodetic Survey (BCGS) then assumed the establishment of geodetic control points.
By 1987, the BCGS was merged with four other agencies under the NAMRIA, which upgraded the PGN into the Philippine Reference System of 1992, or PRS92 — the standard reference system of all surveys and mapping activities global network of geodetic control points (GCPs) marked by survey monuments established by using the Global Positioning System.

Entry of the world geodetic system
According to Deputy Administrator Cabanayan, Station Balanacan remained the datum origin when the PRS92 was merged under global standards with the world geodetic system.
Commander Ronaldo Gatchalian, who heads NAMRIA’s geodesy division, said that based on the “old practice” there was no need to change the reference system.
But in using the global reference system in mapping and surveying, the physical origin is now the center of the Philippine

Preserving the Luzon Datum
In 2007, a NAMRIA team went to Marinduque to conduct a reconnaissance survey of Station Balanacan which had turned into a cogon field. They found the station and the marker on a hard rock still intact.
It was also the year when the PRS92 Project was implemented to complete the national geodetic network, which was tasked to integrate all old surveys and maps “into the new network for sustainable management and development of the country’s natural resources.”
It was also aimed at setting up more accurate spatial positioning for infrastructure and other activities.
Commander Gatchalian said they consider the PRS92 as “modified Luzon Datum,’ with the Station Balanacan as its datum origin, but with correction on its coordinates.
In August 2011, a centennial national historical marker mounted on a marble pedestal for the station was unveiled in recognition of the geodetic station’s role in the history of the country’s mapping and surveying.
Narra and other indigenous trees were also planted around the 28-hectares covering the Station Balanacan to promote ecotourism in the island province.
The ecotourism center was also envisioned to honor the forebear surveyors and mapmakers in the country.
After all, this was where it all began.

By Joel Paredes
Joel briefly served government as director-general of the Philippine Information Agency (PIA), although he has been a practicing journalist and writer for nearly 37 years. He led a team organized by the University of the Philippines Los Banos (UPLB)  and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) that worked on the book entitled “Protecting our Natural Wealth, Enhancing our Natural Pride.”
“Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.”
---William Jennings Bryan

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
Mga ka bro in Treasure Hunting----wag basta sirain, bunutin lahat ng mga batong makita na may markings at hole---baka kayo ay ma charge sa pag sira ng...............................................,,,,,,,,,
Datum of origin of all surveying and mapping in the Philippines
Kaya wag basta-bastang mag assume na everything odd you see in the field or site ay agad agad-------Treasure marks!!!!!,,,,but somehow, there might be a relation......kaya wag basta sisirain bagkus gawing platform for any related references.........BV..

My brothers in treasure hunting, don't destroy, pull out every stones with markings and holes that you see in the fields and sites are not all treasure realated, yet you be charge in destroying,,,,Datum of origin of all surveying and mapping in the Philippines,,,,,
don't always assume that everything you see is treasure related,,,,but somehow who knows, there might be a relation indeed, so therefore, don't destroy, instead, make it your flatform of references........ ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;).....BV2015
“Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.”

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
Good advice, Ben.

Thanks for posting.

TW

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
It's engineering works,

Take this from the conversation of Prince Chichibu and Major Nakasone on planning one of treasure burials in historical landmarks in Manila

"Yes, I agree, Your Excellencies. Drawing these exact
locations on a scale map is not a problem. I like it. It would solve
a number of technical problems, but most of all, it would allow us
to keep our activities secret." Nakasone said rather excitedly.
"Is this going to be a problem in locating our spur tunnel so
that it ends up directly under the structure; let's say under an alter
of a church for example?" Prince Chichibu asked addressing his
question to the Major.
"Not at all Your Excellency. With the use of a transit we can
hit a mark within a matter of an inch or two. This type of
engineering is basic and has been known for the past 100 years.

Engineers use it when the dig a long railway tunnel, especially
when they start digging from both sides of a mountain. The ends
meet in the middle at exactly the same spot. That includes up and
down as well as side to side."
Nakasone answered, chosing to use
layman terms.
"You can measure the elevation that closely?" Chichibu
asked.
"Yes, Your Excellency, within an inch or two." The Major
replied.
"Okay! Excellent! I think you may have answered my next
question. When we were at Fort McKinley last week you showed
me General MacArthur's air raid shelter that was dug in the middle
of the circular driveway in front of his headquarters, which also
served as his officer's club. As I remember it there were two flights
of concrete steps that led down to three large rooms which were
about 60 feet from the surface. Is that about right?" Chichibu
asked.
"
------definitely engineering work, ;) ;) ;) ;) It has been long ago measured in precise scale and angles put into map so that it can be relocated. To locate is to relocate.....BV

Offline admin

• Administrator
Very nice. I love it.
TW

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
Hello everyone, it's been a long absence realy, how are my old buddies and friends here???
As much as i wanted to have a good conclusion of this topic or thread, I just wanna post this, MAYBE, just maybe the finders shown in this video, just may have followed the basic principles of Geodetic Engineering....I wanted to have my own real recovery, but my situation and position won't allow me to do so...I have at least top 5 sites that i have to make action this 2017, Its now or never, after 2017, i'll say its quits....

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら

MAYBE THE FINDERS MAY HAVE FOLLOWED THE BASIC PRINCIPLES OF GEODESY... :) ;) ;) ;) :D
 REMEMBER TO LOCATE IS TO RELOCATE....
 FOLLOWED A MAP PERHAPS....

LOOK AT THE MARK ON THE VIDEO.."DUTERTE COMMUNITY"  ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OXZdvRHa7Y

Offline Voyager

Welcome back sir Ben, I've read a lot of your articles, they're very educational. 

I hope the people who made the recovery will give a little background to help other THunters esp. on the dis arming of bombs and the challenges they encountered. One thing I noticed the items were not laced with poison.

Anyway, it's nice to know you're still at it! Hope you can give us your experiences on your last few projects. Good luck and may God bless you always!

Voyager

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
  You can also watch it here at my youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSwb4yIlqHvgCh5bBXLlYHg  ----My you tube channel, to view some of my adventures        way back then......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaZYuM6qQu4

Offline ZOBEX

We checked and there is no National Museum permit issued that corresponds to this.  So this by his laws is an illegal exploration and recovery.  Further there is no record of a Central Bank notification or clearance on any of this, as of 12 hours ago.  So if not in advance then what ??

The site was started in November.  So where did it go to ??  To pay for hit squads and bribes ? ?

Offline jerzx

I saw the video clip from FB it seems that the recovery is real, the GB are huge probably more than 20kg each. . i hope somebody will post how they managed to recover it.  what are the steps and obstacle they encountered.

Offline admin

• Administrator
Welcome back, Ben.

What's that DUTERTE COMMUNITY all about???
TW