Author Topic: Special Katana Sword  (Read 6663 times)

coolfun125

Special Katana Sword
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:34:56 AM »
Gentlemen,

We have in our possession a sword recovered in one of the caves in the Philippines. I am posting pictures of it here.

An American friend gave us his opinion that this sword is at least 500 years old.  A chinese friend told me that the markings are ancient chinese script, which means it was probably obtained from China and relatively old.  For the experts and knowledgeable people in this forum , please

1) Help us authenticate the sword and date it.
2) Give us a rough idea of how much this item will be worth in the Auction market.
3) Help us look for a buyer ( you get 5 % )

You can post your comments here but if you have serious info or offers, please email me through this forum.

Cheers.
Coolfun

Offline Janner

Re: Special Katana Sword
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:45:11 AM »
hey quite a nice find, most Katanas have but one hole in the handle area, this is where a bamboo peg was put in to retain the handle onto the blade.
The center hole looks newer than the other 2, i say that due to the discoloration..?
The markings on the handle, if 500 yrs old would have been the owner or family name and in Japanese, not chinese.

Where is the remainder of the handle and guard, do you have it??

Looking at the blade is there a wavy line running down the whole length of the blade on both sides?

a closer look at the blade would be nice also..

tnku

Offline Janner

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:18:44 AM »
email me with the following...

sketches or photos of..
the "Tsuba", hand guard, both sides.
The Tang and the writing on it.
the blade is it sharp right down to the handle or no.
close up photo of blade, and the point of the blade.
the pin you took out of the handle. (if you have it)
The handle and its wrappings. (if you have it?)
what color is the rust on the pin?
then i will see what i can do...?

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:37:52 AM »
Yea, nice fine. You should take some close ups of the blade. Janner is right.. it would be Japanese made.. not from China.
TW

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »
CoolFun,

Are you in Manila? Go to YAMASAWA in the new extension built in Robinson's (Ermita) on the 3rd floor. The owner is a Japanese guy (his Filipina wife runs the shop).

This shop buys and sells antiques including; old coins, Japanese banknotes, postage stamps, clocks, etc. and mainly sells antiques from WW2 such as Japanese swords etc. Their phone number is 02 567-1894.

Good luck!

TW
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:42:32 PM by admin »

coolfun125

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 06:22:30 AM »
Tony, Janner,

Thanks for the inputs. Will ask my partner to try the YAMASAWA option and take more pictures.

Cheers, Cool 

Offline goldfish

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:01:20 PM »
Hello Coolfun,
Check again the inscriptions, as i didn't know of any katanas from China...History tells that Katanas sre forged only in Japan so i believe that the sword you have did not come from China...and yes, katanas are very impressive swords...nice post, hope you'll find a buyer soon...

cheers!
goldfish

Offline lagalag

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 03:57:30 AM »
looks like an authentic samurai warrior sword...those are expensive specially in japan...they are considered heritage treasures if you have a close up shot we can find out who .when and where it was made...cause thats whats written on the handle part..nice!

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 02:45:50 AM »
Hello Coolfun,
Check again the inscriptions, as i didn't know of any katanas from China...History tells that Katanas sre forged only in Japan so i believe that the sword you have did not come from China...and yes, katanas are very impressive swords...nice post, hope you'll find a buyer soon...

cheers!
goldfish

I would bet it's Korean, but oddly enough the markings look like code markers.  Definitely not Japanese.  The reason for the re-drill on the holes was to convert the it over to required military hardware from an ancestral hardware.  Required I recall in 1939.  Will double check that date.

What became of this blade ?

Z

Offline Janner

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 09:21:15 PM »
Hello Coolfun,

cheers!
goldfish

I would bet it's Korean, but oddly enough the markings look like code markers.  Definitely not Japanese.  The reason for the re-drill on the holes was to convert the it over to required military hardware from an ancestral hardware.  Required I recall in 1939.  Will double check that date.

What became of this blade ?

Z

No self respecting Japanese owner of a "Ancestral Sword" would allow it to be converted to anything, or even marked for that matter.
so i find your statement above quite unbelievable.
Japanese Officers were the only ones to carry "Personal" swords, whilst the remainder carried the military mass produced ones.
(ps i am a avid collector of Japanese swords too)
 ;)