Author Topic: Why are Tunnels Round?  (Read 21436 times)

t_hunter44

Why are Tunnels Round?
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
      People Tunneling or digging a shaft is not very particular about the shape of their tunnels or shafts. Tunnels or shafts should be Round. Ever wondered why Pipes is round, so does submarines, Road tunnels or tunnels for trains or even planes. Inward Pressures or Outward Pressures has got a lot to do with it and I am inviting the Members here to share their Knowledge on Architectural Design
on Building Tunnels and Shafts as this will help others here thus preventing unnecessary cave ins or death. Your Inputs is greatly appreciated and I know some people here can contribute greatly for the safety of our fellow Treasure Hunters.

DINDO BAYAUA

Re: Why are Tunnels Round?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »
In engineering, the most efficient shape is a circle because it means the outside pressure in evenly/equally distributed while a rectangle shape has weak points within area 1/4 of the height from the bottom due to pressure build up points called delta h.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:27:26 PM by DINDO BAYAUA »

Offline Janner

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:40:36 PM »
egg shaped my man...egg shaped... ;)
anyway. i am amazed that no one has ventured to put a comment here..?
That could mean, they know all about tunnels so no need to post a reply or,..

no nothing about tunnels and dont really care, to busy digging up rocks with funny marks on them. :D
(That would be my guess to) ::)

or.., or...what and why..????

regards

Offline NORTHSTAR

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »

no nothing about tunnels and dont really care, to busy digging up rocks with funny marks on them. Cheesy

Janner
Don.t be arrogant. There is no need to comment in this topic. It.s all common sense. I do not know if you have it. Your sintido common can explain why tunnel is round. Even small animals like rabbits made their tunnel round. If they can only talk, these animals will explain to you why tunnel is round. Don't ridicule those who are busy digging as looking for funny rocks and markers. You are a big big BS

Offline wiltor

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:25:17 AM »
Horizontal tunnels are mostly designed in a "parabolic shape" with a flat base. One probable reason could be is to minimize the volume of soil, stones, and other solid materials being extracted out during the digging operation of the tunnel. The lesser the volume extracted, the faster for its completion.

t_hunter44

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »

no nothing about tunnels and dont really care, to busy digging up rocks with funny marks on them. Cheesy

Janner
Don.t be arrogant. There is no need to comment in this topic. It.s all common sense. I do not know if you have it. Your sintido common can explain why tunnel is round. Even small animals like rabbits made their tunnel round. If they can only talk, these animals will explain to you why tunnel is round. Don't ridicule those who are busy digging as looking for funny rocks and markers. You are a big big BS
     He is not being arrogant, he is just stating a fact and you call that Common Sense? How many tunnels or shafts from treasure hunters have you seen that is rounded in shape, most is squarish in form and do not compare Rabbits, gophers, moles or whatever, they are just digging and the holes just come out naturally round as they are just digging with their paws. I myself is wondering why the replies to this topic was so minimal and I expected GB to come with the right reason why tunnels or shaft is rounded in shape but he needs to elaborate more on that and he should know because of his profession. We are putting out info for the benefit of our fellow treasure hunters and I am expecting positive feed backs, not verbal attacks. If you want to comment on this topic, be sensible enough to stay on the topic. Now if you will, make some inputs why those mentioned structures and include concrete culverts, the reason why they are round in shape.

t_hunter44

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:50:57 AM »
Horizontal tunnels are mostly designed in a "parabolic shape" with a flat base. One probable reason could be is to minimize the volume of soil, stones, and other solid materials being extracted out during the digging operation of the tunnel. The lesser the volume extracted, the faster for its completion.
    In a way, you are right about lesser volume of dirt to remove but that is not how the Engineers sees it, it is about Even Pressure  
and Weak Points. Let us hear from the Engineers here.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:14:34 AM by t_hunter44 »

Offline NORTHSTAR

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »
TH44

I have seen plenty types of holes. Tunnels are not  always rounded shape. It depends on every situation, In vertical shaft, the ideal shape should be Like a square "V" type hole especially if the target is so deep and timber is required.  Do not make a rounded tunnel like the long neck bottle shape or inverted V type hole. t will surely collapse and may cause damage to your digger. Rounded tunnels are good enough for soil with strong and firm soil condition. Square or rectangular tunnels are still ideal if the soil condition is not firm and strong enough to hold the sorroundings because  wood timber is required. You can witness this tunnels especially in gold mining tunnels. It's impossible for them to make it round because wood timber is required. How can you install a wood timber strong enough if the tunnel is round. It should be square or rectangular shape.  It always depends in every situation.

t_hunter44

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »
NS,  We are just putting out info that will benefit some and it is just a recommendation based on research and experience plus engineering and if you are satisfied with rectangular or square shape tunnels or shafts. its your hole and you can do anything you wish.
        Of course it all depends on the type of native soil of the site but I have seen tunnels of treasure hunters in the Philippines and all they have is a post on opposite walls and a beam connected to each other and a few feet further is much of the same, but nothing on the overhead and that is called Shoring, not timbering. Look at pictures of real Gold Mines, timbering on the walls and the ceiling. I have entered a tunnel on a side of a ravine, if you can call it that as it is only about 3 feet in diameter but it was something like 75 feet long and i have to be on my hand and knees, it ended on a 4'x4'x5' room but nothing was there, probably someone already beat me to it but after more than 6 decades and it was still in good shape and it was like compact sand. Where does the collapse occur in a square hole, in between corners as that is the weakest point, not on the corners but in the middle between corners and on a tunnel, where will it collapse,in the middle of the ceiling as that is your weakest point from the pressure or weight from above, again, not from the corners. The tunnel need not be round but it should be arched to better withstand the weight from above, the Romans knew that centuries ago. Whatever your preference, like the saying goes,"Just Do It".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:06:15 PM by t_hunter44 »

Offline Janner

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 01:16:39 PM »

Janner

I wasnt going to reply to this Prof Janitor who knows everything about nothing, but i will..........."F.O" !!

Offline NORTHSTAR

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »
I wasnt going to reply to this Prof Janitor who knows everything about nothing, but i will..........."F.O" !!

Janner
You are really a big B.S. in this forum. Calling members as busy diggers looking for funny rocks and markers. Now, calling me prof janitor. I can't believe this guy. Why? are you a perfect enough to insult us here. You are full of sarcasm and arrogance.. ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Janner

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:58:40 PM »
Thats nothing to i will be calling you, so get used to it....Mr Prof Janitor......!!
More if you want it...!!!??  ::)

Offline Janner

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »
so, instead of the usual slander that Prof NS wants all the time............ lets get on with the topic...

Most tunnels that i have come across have been of the "straight sides with curved roof design' this is out of pure ease to build,
other tunnels have been natural caves that were extended and widened, but once again using the straight with rounded roof. I have found round tunnels, but they were made of concrete and prefabricated parts. Military designed and very big and strong. Other tunnels were shaped depending on the
location they were in, mostly caves. larger tunnels  with timber at the sides with roofing timber supporting the roof were not that common, this led me to believe that most tunnels here were quickly built, or would not be used for very long, like air raid shelters?

Earth tunnels dont last that long due to the wet soil, sand/lime stone can last for ages in dry climates, here quite a long time to. Rock tunnels are lasting but dangerous, they give way when you least expect it....

There a little input. ;)

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »
Northstar you started this little argument so you are the one who instigated it and doing the initial name calling here. We don't want or need people starting trouble here like that and none of us appreciate that here.
TW

Offline Janner

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »
I am still amazed at the lack of interest here in this subject, being as it probably  the easiest one to find and excavate too..
Most seem obsessed with sign or marks on rock and various layers of earth/sand.......
I always look back at the history and supposedly myths and legends of the so call treasure...
"buried in tunnels constructed by forced labor, 100+ on land.
and the labor force and sometimes the guards entombed in the cave after demolition".

But the operative word is "Tunnels"......

but to do that it takes real investigation and looking,(my CSI)  which i think a lot of people are not prepared to do.. (??)

anyway

Regards