Author Topic: What is the Truth about the so-called Marcos Wealth  (Read 17834 times)

t_hunter44

What is the Truth about the so-called Marcos Wealth
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:22:25 AM »
Here is some interesting reading as it will start you thinking and it just might give you the answers about all those controversies about Marcos wealth.

Marcos Wealth – Piles of Gold
By admin On February 7, 2008 Under Uncategorized
What is the truth about the so-called Marcos wealth?
Article quoted from news:
To his enemies, at least, it derived its existence from, to them, his shameless plundering of the national treasury during his long inglorious reign as a greedy tyrant. Some people would claim otherwise: his wealth came from part of the fabled Yamashita treasure.
I Googled for some self-enlightenment and found this document, a legal opinion on a case lodged in the Supreme Court of Hawaii. The following are excerpts lifted without revision (save for short explanations in parentheses) from the background of the case Roger Roxas and the Golden Buddha Corporation vs. Ferdinand E. Marcos and Imelda Marcos. It’s a long opinion, one must read in its entirety to place the excerpts in proper context.
BACKGROUND; (A) Factual Background; (5) Laundering and sale of the gold; third paragraph:
Ferdinand (Marcos) told (Robert) Curtis (an owner of a mining business in Nevada) that he had recovered an enormous amount of gold from the Yamashita treasure, which he had found at various sites, and that he needed help because the “International World Court had . . . passed a ruling that any . . . World War II treasures that were recovered would revert back to the countries from . . . whence they were taken.” Ferdinand told him that he had so much gold that selling it could have a large effect on the world economy or even “start World War III.”
Fourth paragraph:
Curtis also testified that General Ver had brought him to a basement room in the Marcos Mariveles summer palace, where the gold bars were kept. Curtis entered a room “about roughly 40 by 40,” stacked to the ceiling with bars of gold. He estimated the ceiling to be ten feet high. Two or three four-foot wide aisles ran through the stacks of gold. The bars were in a standard seventy-five kilogram size. He noticed that the bars had “oriental markings” on them. Later, Ferdinand showed Curtis a solid gold buddha statue with a removable head, which Curtis identified from the pictures taken at Roxas house as the same buddha that Roxas had discovered.
Fifth paragraph:
On cross-examination, Curtis testified that his study of the Yamashita treasure had suggested that the treasure contained eighteen buddhas and was distributed among 172 sites. He also testified that Ferdinand had told him that the gold that Curtis had seen had come from a site in the Luzon region. Moreover, in 1975, while Curtis was working with Ferdinand, another site was discovered in the town of Teresa, and more gold was retrieved.
Eighth paragraph:
… General Ver showed him (Olof Johnson, a clairvoyant called in to help in treasure hunting} a basement room in the guest house outside Malacanang Palace and another room in the summer palace, both filled with gold. He was also shown a golden buddha in the summer palace that was too heavy for him to move. Johnson described the basement room in the guest cottage as being approximately twenty feet wide, forty feet long, and twelve feet high. He estimated the room in the summer palace as measuring “probably 40 feet by 25 or something” and twelve feet in height. Both rooms were filled with two-foot-long bars of gold stacked to the ceiling. Johnson testified that it was possible that the bars were four inches wide and four inches thick, but that he could not recall exactly.
Eleventh paragraph:
(Michael) O’Brien (an Australian in real estate business) also traveled to the Philippines. At one point, when he expressed doubt as to the existence of so much gold, he was blindfolded and taken to a warehouse. Inside the warehouse was a stack of approximately three hundred to four hundred boxes, each the size of a six-pack of beer. O’Brien opened one and observed that it contained three crudely smelted gold bars, which he described as being pitted “like an orange peel.” He tried to lift several other boxes and found them too heavy to move.
Twelfth paragraph:
…On one occasion, (Norman) Dacus (a retired American police officer recruited for gold brokering) was shown what he estimated to be one hundred metric tons of gold, located in a vault at the Coconut Planter’s Bank. Later, Dacus was flown to Ilocos  Norte and taken to a shrine constructed for Ferdinand. Inside, he observed an approximately four-foot tall, gold-colored buddha statue and what he estimated to be three hundred to five hundred metric tons of gold comprised of twenty-five kilogram ingots.
Were Robert Curtis, Olof Jonsson, Michael O’Brien, and Norman Dacus unwitting or willing partners in an elaborate hoax? Or were they giving honest testimonies? If these piles of gold were for real, where did they really come from? The Yamashita treasure? One thing is certain though: testimonies and claims of the existence of these piles of gold have by now entered court records.
POSTSCRIPT:
Something had escaped me as I was writing the above entry. It turns out this was a case lost by Marcos in 1996 for which the Courts awarded the plaintiff a staggering 22 billion dollars (!!) and 7.4 million dollars more for other damages.The linked document above was an opinion on an appeal by Imelda Marcos.(I am a newspaper hound; how come I have never come across this one?) So, that explains my confusion with the entries. Anyway apparently the Courts believed the stories about the gold.
Next: The Enrique Zobel Deposition
posted Tuesday, 6 June 2006
tags: hidden treasure wealth yamashita marcos gold buddha comments (3)
azil made this comment,
everything about Marcos and Yamashita gold is true including santy-you know who he was.I believed that more treasures can be found but it rather stay where they are for the time being unless filipino people finds a way on how to use it to improve our economy without any interventions from united states of america,we should not let them take a hold on whatever treasure is left in the Philippine soil, its time for us to stand on our own!
comment added :: 31st August 2006, 17:59 GMT+08:30
Borodin made this comment,
I really is a very big story this Yamashita treasure,even today that the Philippines pays billions if foreign dept that otherwise japan should be the one to pay it because the Philippines is where they hid most of the treasure looted and recovered by both USA AND japan.
comment added :: 28th October 2006, 06:36 GMT+08:30
Maria Teresa Santiago made this comment,
do u think satellites can now detect buried treasure here in the phils.in a particular place ?? if that is so then first who will know about these treasures are those who are also a rich nation like the USA..
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:30:33 AM by t_hunter44 »

DINDO BAYAUA

Re: What is the Truth about the so-called Marcos Wealth
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
On the Teresa, Rizal recovery of FM:

From the field notes of those who were involved:

"...Not sure how accurate the attached is, which was written on 6/30/44 by Pol Giga. Pol was examined extensively, for several days, by a leading lie detector examiner about his activities here during WWII, as well as in 1975, and he passed with flying colors. FM's recovery was worth about $9 Billion in 1975 Au values, don't know if that translates to 100 MT's, but am certain that he sealed the site after recovering approximately 1/3 of the contents, due to paranormal activity. The famous Swiss psychic, Olof Johnson, and several others were chased out by spirits. All had to have their legs bandaged due to physical wounds on their legs. They saw ghost like things chasing them, Olof saw a Shinto priest with the beard and headband.  Olof sensed "mortal fear" and took the next flight out of Manila. When I asked Sterling Seagrave if the mortal fear was because F Marcos was going to kill him or the paranormal stuff, SS surprised me by saying it was the latter.

It is a massive tunnel complex, 1,500 meters long, a 777 site, as in 777 Billion 1945 Japanese Yen, but I don't think there are any aircraft there. It was a 2,000 man POW camp, 1,200 POW's were buried alive there when it was sealed. A bulldozer with the engine removed and replaced with bars and the tanks filled with stones remains there, as well as 15 - 55 gallon drums of gems, bars, Buddha's, etc. I have video of Pol talking about going back in 1978, but he hit a water trap and had no electricity or pump. The nice thing about going back in the way that FM did is that we know that the 1,000 pound bomb booby traps are already disabled, and when Pol tried again 3 years later, he disabled 2 more of them on the way to the drums.

FM only got 1/3 or 8 of the 23 Army trucks. The last time I ran the numbers the remaining commodities would amount to $270 Billion USD, but Au was a lot cheaper then. I've always thought along the lines of grabbing a handful of diamonds out of one of the 15 drums of them and getting the hell out alive. If anybody else wants to mess with 13 foot tall Buddha's, etc.  no problem, but I would expect the site to get taken over as soon as word gets out, as it undoubtedly would...."

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:46:53 AM by DINDO BAYAUA »

Offline adrian

• Love is not a competition but I'm winning.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »
Sir,
Just a noobish question, If the Marcoses were that rich, Why did Bongbong Marcos struggled during the election?
Billions=Vote-Buying. With these wealth Villar will stand no chance.

t_hunter44

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:00:46 PM »
Sir,
Just a noobish question, If the Marcoses were that rich, Why did Bongbong Marcos struggled during the election?
    Your so called noobish question is just what it is and dirty politics has no bearing on the topic. You want to talk about dirty politics, take it somewhere else.

DINDO BAYAUA

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:53:06 PM »
Who in his right mind would expose their money from treasure hunting knowing that we have RA 7080 and RA 9160? Exposing the TH money to elections is tantamount to an act after the fact. They denied any money on TH (Read the transcript of the Rogelio Roxas case in the US Court). Further, if proven, the money goes to the government, will be perpetually disqualified to hold public office (goodbye to future political ambition), and possible lifetime imprisonment not only the person in question but possibly affecting the whole family.

Think, think, and think again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:57:52 PM by DINDO BAYAUA »

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 05:19:25 PM »
Sir,
    Your so called noobish question is just what it is and dirty politics has no bearing on the topic. You want to talk about dirty politics, take it somewhere else.

T-Hunter44, obviously you are a bit younger than me and you are either ignorant or naive.  Dirty politics is the back bone of the Philippines since 1945.  Marcos Jr. won nothing as he is not anointed to win, not yet.

The bulk of the Philippine people have no control over their own destiny.  Stop living in a dream and wake up to what just about ever one else sees every day.

F. Marcos was overthrow and kidnapped out of the country, not because he spent less but because he was removed.  As anyone can be removed, anyone can be installed.  F. Marcos's nick name was " Mr. 10% " because that is what he took on all business.  The vast majority of the gold removed was never in his name nor his control as he was only the power of attorney for it, not the owner.  Of the 50,000 metric tons in the Bataan complex, he was only the signatory as the metal belonged to the AFP, or specifically under the 1983 Camp Aguinaldo Agreement and it was F. Ver that was the depositor signatory, not F. Marcos though in effect F. Marcos was the Commander N Chief.  Of the 27,500 metric tons in the US Fed Res deposits, that again is under the 1983 Camp Aguinaldo Agreement and F. Ver was the true signatory.

Little boy, wake up.  T-Hunter44, tell me the importance of this attached photograph, who it belongs to and how it came about ??  Well I am waiting.

Z

Z

t_hunter44

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:11:52 AM »
Sir,

T-Hunter44, obviously you are a bit younger than me and you are either ignorant or naive.  Dirty politics is the back bone of the Philippines since 1945.  Marcos Jr. won nothing as he is not anointed to win, not yet.

The bulk of the Philippine people have no control over their own destiny.  Stop living in a dream and wake up to what just about ever one else sees every day.

F. Marcos was overthrow and kidnapped out of the country, not because he spent less but because he was removed.  As anyone can be removed, anyone can be installed.  F. Marcos's nick name was " Mr. 10% " because that is what he took on all business.  The vast majority of the gold removed was never in his name nor his control as he was only the power of attorney for it, not the owner.  Of the 50,000 metric tons in the Bataan complex, he was only the signatory as the metal belonged to the AFP, or specifically under the 1983 Camp Aguinaldo Agreement and it was F. Ver that was the depositor signatory, not F. Marcos though in effect F. Marcos was the Commander N Chief.  Of the 27,500 metric tons in the US Fed Res deposits, that again is under the 1983 Camp Aguinaldo Agreement and F. Ver was the true signatory.

Little boy, wake up.  T-Hunter44, tell me the importance of this attached photograph, who it belongs to and how it came about ??  Well I am waiting.

Z

Zobex,
    Obviously you and Adrian is in the same category as the topic is about Marcos Gold and the Yamashita Treasure, not about politics. "Obviously you are a bit younger than me" ;D, was that a compliment or just another insult, which is alright with me, I am thick skinned. Do not Teach me about History or Philippine Politics as I am an Insider and you are just a Foreigner. How long have you been in the Philippines and since when did you appear on the scene on Philippine Politics, when you were Gun Running for Marcos maybe? All those things you pointed out is a bunch of lies, why, the Philippine Government should be going after Ver, not Marcos, but then go on believing with those lies as that is where you like to wallow, in filth and on lies. So far all your claims and postings in this forum has been all that. You took off from the other forum because SWR was always nipping at your butt, there is another more refined SWR in this form and will continually nip at your butt.
    You want to open a topic about Philippine Politics, open your own topic and include also US Politics as the country where you came from is not at all that clean as you think it is but that is understandable as people see others neighbors dirty yard but cannot see their own filth.
    While I am on the subject, maybe you also have a copy of that 1983 Camp Aguinaldo Agreement, be hard to produce if it was just gossip. Since the AFP owns all that Metal as you claim, they should have all the money to buy all kinds of Military Equipment and get Ver to Sign  as you claim he is or was the Depositor.
   Little boy,  ;D I was already climbing hills and mountains and you were still on your Diapers.  I am waiting, for hard facts, not Gossip.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:30:50 AM by t_hunter44 »

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »
A further example of Corruption in the Philippines, sorry to say it is so.

05MANILA1506    2005-04-01 06:19    2011-08-30 01:44    UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY    Embassy Manila

This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.

UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 05 MANILA 001506

SIPDIS

INFO ASSOCIATION OF SOUTHEAST ASIAN NATIONS
AMEMBASSY SEOUL
DEPT OF JUSTICE WASHINGTON DC
DEA WASHDC
FBI WASHDC
HOMELAND SECURITY CENTER WASHINGTON DC

SENSITIVE

STATE FOR EAP/PMBS, S/CT FOR KAREN CHANDLER, INR/EAP/SEA,
INL/C/CP, AND INL/AAE FOR PRAHAR,KAPOYOS,AND MCKAY
JAKARTA FOR ICITAP/HARDGROVE
BANGKOK FOR ILEA
DOJ FOR ICITAP

E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL PGOV PINS KCRM KCOR KJUS ASEC RP
SUBJECT: LAW ENFORCEMENT CORRUPTION IN THE PHILIPPINES

REF: A. MANILA 1286
     ¶B. MANILA 00129
     ¶C. MANILA 00312
     ¶D. MANILA 01253
     ¶E. 04 MANILA 05502
     ¶F. 04 MANILA 5437

¶1.  (SBU) SUMMARY.  The nexus of law enforcement corruption
in the Philippines lies in four key areas: 1) bribery in
recruitment and extortion in training; 2) ineffectual and
politically manipulated Internal Affairs; 3) financial
mismanagement; and, 4) procurement and resource
mismanagement.  PNP leadership has admitted that the PNP has
a problem with endemic corruption and taken initial steps
toward reform.  However, sustaining positive change is
dependent upon transient command personalities, resisted by
an entrenched old guard, and vulnerable to the exigencies of
politics.  Post,s proposed Management Assessment of the
Philippine Police (MAPP) would provide the basis for a
strategic overview and a comprehensive reform plan. END
SUMMARY.

CORRUPTION AND MALFEASANCE
---------------------------

¶2.  (SBU) According to Transparency International's "2004
Global Corruption Barometer," the Philippine National Police
(PNP) is the most corrupt national institution in the
Philippines.  Corruption in the PNP and related agencies
stems primarily from the unholy trinity of gambling, drugs,
and prostitution that beset law enforcement organizations
worldwide.  However, PNP corruption is exacerbated by
Philippine law, which gives local officials control over the
appointment and dismissal of local PNP commanders,
encouraging corrupt city mayors to make common cause with
dishonest police commanders.  Mission observers compare the
PNP to police forces in Al Capone,s Chicago or 1940,s "L.A.
Confidential" Los Angeles.

SIPDIS

¶3.  (SBU) Apart from corruption, many cops undertake
investigative short cuts that often employ physical abuse,
the planting of evidence, and sometimes -- allegedly under
guidance from local elected officials -- the extra-judicial
killing of criminal suspects.  The PNP suffers from a potent
combination of malfeasance (misconduct or wrongdoing) and
misfeasance (improper and unlawful execution of an act that
in itself is lawful and proper) within an institutional
culture of poor management.  The results permit not only
corruption but also a level of incompetence that is often
indistinguishable from corruption.  Mission law enforcement
officials often find individual PNP members courageous, but
-- especially at junior levels -- tempted by the
opportunities (and, given the poverty-level wages, the
virtual necessity) to "learn how to earn" from corrupt
officers in the field.

¶4.  (SBU) The PNP leadership has admitted the PNP has a
problem with endemic corruption, and has publicly expressed a
willingness to improve the PNP as an institution.  After his
appointment as PNP Chief in September 2004, then-Director
General Edgar Aglipay made several moves to counter growing
criticism of PNP incompetence under the tenure of Hermogenes
Ebdane (formerly National Security Adviser and now Secretary
of Public Works and Highways).  Aglipay used his six-month
term in office to acknowledge publicly the PNP,s culture of
misfeasance, incompetence, and corruption, and to create
disciplinary barracks at the former U.S. Naval base at Subic
Bay and in Camp Molintas in Benguet province.  Since October
2004, 198 police officials identified by their commanders as
lazy, undisciplined, and abusive have had to undergo one of
five re-training courses or a "Values and Leadership
Enhancement Course."

¶5.  (SBU) In addition, Aglipay inaugurated campaigns against
the solicitation of petty bribes for minor traffic offenses,
and succeeded in getting officers back in proper uniform,
properly groomed, and visible on their beats.  Even the
appearance of PNP headquarters at Camp Crame noticeably
improved, with interior courtyards cleared of refuse, drained
of still water, and landscaped.  Under "Project Item," the
PNP optimized deployment of personnel to perform the three
basic police functions of patrolling, traffic management, and
investigation.  National Capitol Region command staff again
prowl the streets at night, conducting snap inspections of
police posts and checkpoints.  There is an increasingly
visible police presence on many major thoroughfares during
rush hour and at night, an important component of the "broken
windows" school of community policing.  Encouragingly,
incoming Director Auturo Lomibao appears ready to continue
with many of Aglipay,s initiatives (ref A).

RECRUITMENT AND TRAINING - YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY
--------------------------------------------- ---

¶6.  (SBU) In a PNP Anti-Corruption Plan submitted by outgoing
chief Director General Aglipay to President Arroyo, the PNP
made public what has been common knowledge for years --
bribery of police trainers and extortion of recruits are
common practices.  As one Internal Affairs Service Police
Superintendent (Colonel equivalent) at a PNP training
institution quipped to poloff, "when you start with garbage,
you get garbage."  The Filipino press has reported complaints
of extortion of recruits in the Visayas and the Autonomous
Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) by officials of the National
Police Commission (NAPOLCOM), the official body charged with
supervision and recruitment of police officers.  Police
trainees and local government officials have complained that
NAPOLCOM officials also sometimes receive amounts ranging
from 50,000 to 100,000 pesos ($900-$1,800) for swearing in
police recruits who fail the entrance tests but are willing
to pay bribes.

¶7.  (SBU) Under Philippine law, the Department of Interior
and Local Government (DILG) controls the institutions -- the
Philippine Public Safety College (PPSC) and the Philippine
National Police Academy (PNPA) -- that provide entry-level
and senior-executive training for the PNP.  Both civilians
and PNP instructors staff the institutions.  Officially, the
PPSC provides equipment and training allowances to its
students, with the GRP budgeting 1,370 pesos (approximately
$25) per student per day for a 90-day training course for
enlisted police recruits.  However, according to Embassy
contacts, students only spend 60 of those 90 days in
training, with a third of the training days at the discretion
of the local training centers, providing an excellent
opportunity for skimming.  While the PNPA in principle
provides equipment and uniforms to officer recruits, much of
the equipment needed for training is reportedly either
non-existent or of poor quality (handguns in particular).
Recruits from both institutions often must take out loans or
buy what they need on installment plans from individuals and
businesses connected to PPSC or PNPA staff.  Many newly
minted officers graduate from the PPSC and PNPA heavily in
debt and unprepared to face the dangers of their new
assignments.  PNPA cadets are also sometimes expected to
perform personal errands for their instructors during class
time in exchange for passing grades, according to contacts.

¶8.  (SBU) According to PNP sources, PPSC misconduct continues
with the siphoning off of funds for the six-month Public
Safety Officer Senior Executive Course (PSOSEC), a
requirement for all PNP officials at the Superintendent rank
who want to be eligible for promotion to Chief Superintendent
(Brigadier General equivalent).  Internal PSOSEC documents
cited an unspecified Training Sustenance Allowance "subject
to availability of funds," which often do not exist in
practice despite budget allocations.  PSOSEC also contains a
foreign travel requirement supposedly funded by the PPSC,
where students travel to countries such as the United States
and Australia to observe counterpart institutions.  However,
according to PNP contacts, PPSC instructors often tell
students that there are "no funds available" for the trip and
the students must pay not only their own way, but also that
of their instructors.  Because the students fear they may not
qualify for coveted US and Australian visas as ordinary
tourists and want the promotions upon graduation, they
allegedly readily agree to the payola and go along with the
fiction that the trip is official GRP-funded travel.

INTERNAL AFFAIRS SERVICE - THE PNP,S PAPER TIGER
--------------------------------------------- ---

¶9.  (SBU) PNP contacts have confirmed that the PNP has yet to
make much headway into cases of malfeasance, even when its
intelligence and surveillance operations collect proof of
cops planting evidence or extorting bribes from criminal
suspects.  According to experienced observers both within and
outside the PNP, the Internal Affairs Service (IAS) has a
relationship that is too close and collegial to the force it
is supposed to investigate.  PNP sources allege the highest
levels of the PNP Command Staff and elected officials often
pressure IAS to drop or whitewash investigations, and then
use dirty cops for their own political ends.

¶10.  (SBU) IAS is fractured -- each of the 13 regions and 5
districts in Metro Manila has its own IAS, leading to
fraternization with the commands each investigates and
inspects.  The IAS budget comes from the office of the PNP
Chief.  Past PNP Chiefs (including Aglipay) have shown
themselves reluctant to expend scarce resources to air dirty
laundry on their watch and harm their chances of a lucrative
Cabinet slot after their brief tenure (former PNP Chiefs in
Cabinet-level slots include not only Public Works Secretary
Ebdane but also Transportation Secretary Leandro Mendoza).
Given these parameters, much of the IAS budget appears to be
diverted to other needs.  Often, internal affairs
investigations are used to score public points against
members of rival PNP factions.  Even these operations usually
fail to deliver swift, sure, and public justice that would
deter corrupt cops.  Administrative dismissals of corrupt
police officials are possible, but are of mostly low-ranking
non-commissioned officers (in 2004 the PNP dismissed 269 NCOs
and 9 officers).  To fire higher-ranking officers for
corruption or incompetence requires consistent pressure from
the highest levels of the PNP command staff over a period of
months if not years, which many consider an unattainable goal
in a force that has had 12 chiefs in 14 years.

¶11.  (SBU) In one high profile case, onetime National Bureau
of Investigation (NBI) "Confidential Agent" Martin Soriano
was dismissed by the NBI in 1999 for a series of illegal
activities.  Soriano, allegedly operating under the
protection of and in cooperation with corrupt PNP officers,
then struck out on his own as a private detective,
specializing in confidence swindles of women that involved
kidnapping, false arrest, and extortion. The PNP's Police
Anti-Crime and Emergency Response (PACER) unit finally
arrested Soriano on January 31, 2005 after he received
200,000 pesos ($3,600) and a late model Mitsubishi van in
exchange for the release of his latest victim, whom he had
"arrested" on drug charges and held in a hotel for days.
According to PNP comments to the press, Soriano's extortion
efforts involved the cooperation of eighteen PNP members --
including a station commander -- from the Western Police
District (the command partially responsible for securing US
Mission facilities).  All eighteen, however, defied orders
from the Chief of the National Capitol Region Command (the
equivalent of a two-star general in command of all of Metro
Manila's police forces) and then-Chief Aglipay to appear for
questioning for over a week, although the PNP subsequently
placed them all on "floating" status -- no work with full pay
-- pending further disciplinary action.  According to PNP
contacts, many of the eighteen are now seeking the
protection/intercession of prominent politicians and hoping
to wait out the glacial pace of the criminal courts and the
PNP's disciplinary procedures.

FINANCIAL GAMES
---------------

¶12.  (SBU) In a January 2005 meeting on GRP anti-corruption
initiatives attended by the Ambassador and representatives of
the Millennium Challenge Corporation, then-Chief Aglipay
reported that 91.7 % of the PNP's 34.8 billion pesos budget
($633,036,363) is earmarked for "Personal Services" (salaries
and other direct payments).  A lack of efficient internal
controls traditionally allowed unscrupulous officers to pad
salary rolls with "ghost" (or "15-30") employees who do not
work, but only appear on the 15th and 30th of each month to
collect their salaries.  The former Chief of the Records
Management Division told poloff that it took the majority of
his two-year tenure to computerize the records of all 117,000
PNP members, including purging the rolls of "ghost cops."
NAPOLCOM is presently investigating three members of the
Masbate Police Provincial Office (PPO) in Region 5 working in
the finance and human resources section for their reported
failure to stop the issuance of paychecks in the name of a
fellow PNP NCO currently serving a six to ten-year sentence
for attempted murder.  Other corrupt activities include
officials swindling subordinates' salaries and/or allowances
by forging their signatures on the payroll list, submitting
documents to the unit's finance officials, and keeping the
money.  Red tape and corruption also plague the PNP's
processing of retirement claims.  Delays in the payment of
retirement benefits have created opportunities for "fixers"
to expedite claims, sparking a protest of dozens of retired
police officers in front of the PNP's Camp Crame headquarters
on March 7.

¶13.  (SBU) Before his retirement, Aglipay announced a series
of financial reforms including a tenure limit for PNP
comptrollers, as well as finance, budget, fiscal, and
disbursing officers, to terms of no longer than five years,
published monthly reports on the utilization of funds, use of
automated teller machines (ATMs) from the Land Bank of the
Philippines to pay employees instead of paper checks, removal
of management sections from the Comptrollership, and an
internal audit service.  Aglipay recommended as well the full
computerization of the personnel and financial information
database system by July 31.  However, Embassy contacts have
noted that the PNP faces severe fiscal and personnel
challenges in implementing these financial and personnel
reforms even if the new PNP leadership is serious about
continuing this effort.

PROCUREMENT AND FINANCIAL MESS
------------------------------

¶14.  (SBU) The PNP's Camp Crame Headquarters sits across
Espiritu De Los Santos Avenue (EDSA) from the Department of
National Defense and Headquarters of the Armed Forces of the
Philippines (AFP).  As the AFP and PNP were only separated 14
years ago, most officers above the rank of Captain or Police
Chief Inspector share the common alma mater of the Philippine
Military Academy and face similar difficulties to DND and AFP
in procurement, logistics, and financial administration
related to corruption and incompetence.  PNP officers from
the Directorate for Plans sit in on briefings on Philippine
Defense Reform (PDR) by the AFPs J-5 (plans) counterparts.
Some have admitted to poloff that they now more fully realize
the need for a PDR-like process to improve the PNP's
procurement systems to allow for more accountability and
transparency.  At present, the PNP's attempts at reforms in
this area lack the PDR's comprehensive and strategic focus,
officers have noted.

¶15.  (SBU)  PNP officials have cited the example of a
controversial procurement decision in 2003 to replace
existing stocks of 9mm handguns with caliber .45 1911-A1
pistols.  In a 20-million peso ($377,358) contract, the PNP
amended its 1995 specifications for caliber .45 handguns.
This change caused gun dealers to complain that the changes
were made to allow only the purchase of model 1911-A1 pistols
made by Arms Corporation of the Philippines (Armscor).  Gun
dealers grumbled that the PNP sought to "change the rules to
favor the company owned by (First Gentleman) Mike Arroyo's
first cousin" (Demetrio "Bolo" Tuason).  One disgruntled gun
dealer commented that "if this isn't tailoring specs to favor
Armscor, then I don't know what is."  Gun dealers also
complained that, in tests conducted by the PNP in October and
November 2003, the Armscor pistols' safety broke during the
drop test and jammed at 3,000 rounds, when the PNP's minimum
for an endurance test is 5,000 rounds.  During training
conducted in 2005 in the Philippines by Joint Inter-Agency
Task Force-West personnel, trainers commented that the
Armscor .45s were unreliable, inaccurate, and potentially
dangerous to the operator.  Nevertheless, Armscor remains an
approved supplier to the PNP.

¶16.  (SBU) Almost 3 million pesos (about USD 52 million) --
or 8.29% of the PNP's total budget-- is dedicated to
maintenance and operations, but Embassy contacts have
reported that corrupt officers have many tricks to divert at
least some of these funds.  Popular practices include
skimming the operational funds as they come down the chain of
command, "conversion" (when officers spend money specifically
allocated for one item on another), and "throwback" (when
corrupt officers allocate funds for an imaginary project and
pocket the money).  PNP contacts have commented that the PNP
has zero funds dedicated for capital outlays, leading to some
"necessary" conversion in the form of misfeasance or "honest
graft," in order to provide construction support for needed
offices or services dedicated to officer welfare such as
sports, recreation, or health facilities.  Additionally, PNP
officers sometimes find themselves under a command order to
go on motorcycle patrol but without available gasoline funds,
leading them reportedly to solicit -- or coerce -- needed
funds from local businesses or individuals.

COMMENT
-------

¶17.  (SBU) The PNP management is a mess.  Few PNP officials
would even try to deny this reality, which severely affects
the credibility of the GRP and public perceptions of
governance.  Cops are among the most noticeable of public
servants, and daily exposure to corrupt, inefficient, or
badly managed police officials is a cancer upon the body
politic.  Systemic flaws need institutional reforms that
training programs, such as the USG has conducted through
USDOJ's ICITAP as well as other assistance from international
donors including the Australians and the British, do not
provide.  Embassy's inter-agency Law Enforcement Working
Group strongly urges INL funding for our proposed Management
Assessment of the Philippine Police (MAPP) (ref E), which
envisions a joint US-Philippine analysis of the PNP's
institutional flaws in order to provide recommendations for
restructuring, modernization, and professionalism, similar to
what the Armed Forces of the Philippines hope to achieve from
the PDR bilateral initiative.  The PNP and senior GRP
leadership has never been more willing to buy into such an
in-depth study.  Embassy believes that the GRP would, as with
the PDR, agree to absorb the bulk of the costs for
undertaking suggested reforms, given the growing realization
that failure to pursue such a course will further enfeeble
the PNP, hamper the improvement of rule of law, lead to
greater crime and corruption, lessen the peace and order
needed for faster economic growth, and undermine public
safety and internal security in the face of existing
terrorist activities and insurgencies.  In the absence of
such systemic PNP reform, popular impatience for better
police performance and management -- exacerbated by the
belief that nearly everyone in the PNP is corrupt -- may also
encourage more public support for elected officials, such as
the mayors of Davao and Cebu, who have openly supported the
use of extra-judicial killings, coordinated in concert with
local police forces under their control, as a means of
controlling crime (refs B, C, D).  Such an outcome would be
disastrous to the human rights climate in this treaty ally
and democratic partner, and would also undermine or harm
progress on major USG goals here to combat terrorism,
narcotics trafficking, trafficking in persons, and other
transnational problems.
Mussomeli.

t_hunter44

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
    Here we go, Zobex is doing Copy and Paste about corruption in the Philippines, like we do not know what is going on. Seems like you want to amplify and show us Filipinos what a corrupt government the Philippines is and a foreigner is shoving this info down our throats. We have our eyes open and we know what is going on, if you can believe that but it will be much better if you teach us or show us what is going on with the Obama administration, like the Obamacare, which is now in the hands of the Supreme Court.
    For your information, the topic was initiated to confirm the presence of the Yamashita Treasure in the Philippines, not about Politics or Corruption but you keep shoving the Corruption BS in our faces. If you do not like the way the Philippine government is handling their own country, you can always get out. Your US of A is not perfect either but then you cannot see the flaw as you are farsighted, even if someone will shove the flaws of your government in your face, you cannot see it. At one time you said, if the US did not step in, we were still bowing to the Japanese and then also you said something about the Philippines as US soil, typical redneck that you are. Now tell me if you did not say or post that, then we know who has the forked tongue. The Filipino people has suffered under foreign control  and that includes the USA but the Filipinos are proud people and never bowed down to imperialism, Philippines revolt against Spain, the Fil-Ameriacan War, Filipino Resistance against the Japanese, no, you do not know that as you never had the subject of Philippine History. We are not here to listen to your crap about how bad is the Philippines, that is the problem of the Filipino people. A Filipino Statesman once said, I WOULD RATHER HAVE A COUNTRY RUN LIKE HELL BY FILIPINOS THAN A COUNTRY RUN LIKE HEAVEN BY A FOREIGN GOVERNMENT BECAUSE HOWEVER BAD A FILIPINO GOVERNMENT MIGHT BE , WE CAN ALWAYS CHANGE IT.[/color]
    Open your own topic or you can go back to where ever you came from to the constant nipping of your butt by SWR. We have enough Know-it- All here. That Spring Loaded Snake might have bitten you and it had Virus on its fangs instead of venom, so, in other words, Bug Off, skedaddle, scram. We Filipinos in this forum has had enough of your lectures about corruption in the country, it is our country and not yours.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:56:11 AM by t_hunter44 »

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »
T_Hunter,
What's makes you 'assume' that Zobex is a 'foreigner'? In fact, he is a FILIPINO. Glad we got that all straightened out now.
TW

t_hunter44

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
T_Hunter,
What's makes you 'assume' that Zobex is a 'foreigner'? In fact, he is a FILIPINO. Glad we got that all straightened out now.
TW

Is he really as by the way he talks, putting down the Filipinos and the Philippine Government and his history of activities as he describes it, like his gun running activities in the Middle East and in the Philippines and other things which does not add up but if you say so, that is fine with me, just so he will lit up on his badmouthing the Philippine Government and its people or even the present Philippine President. and trying to lecture me about Philippine History and Philippine Politics, not in the mood for lectures. The topic was made to confirm that the Yamashita Treasure do exist and here he comes with his corruption lectures and his statement that Marcos got his wealth by getting 10% from the businesses, does Marcos need that 10 % after all the gold that he has recovered, read the latest post of Kizuna and with that much gold, which is just a partial of his recovery, do you think Marcos needs that 10% from the businesses that Zobex was saying, and where did he get that information, gossip or facts, another gossip like the Camp Aguinaldo Agreement that the AFP owns all that gold and Ver is the Depository Signature and is that a fact or gossip? Gossip I do not need but hard facts, like, can he show those paper works that Ver was in fact the Depository Signature?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:46:13 AM by t_hunter44 »

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 06:49:08 PM »
T_Hunter,
TW
   Is he really as by the way he talks, putting down the Filipinos and the Philippine Government and his history of activities as he describes it, like his gun running activities in the Middle East and in the Philippines and other things which does not add up but if you say so, that is fine with me, just so he will lit up on his badmouthing the Philippine Government and its people or even the present Philippine President. and trying to lecture me about Philippine History and Philippine Politics, not in the mood for lectures. The topic was made to confirm that the Yamashita Treasure do exist and here he comes with his corruption lectures and his statement that Marcos got his wealth by getting 10% from the businesses, does Marcos need that 10 % after all the gold that he has recovered, read the latest post of Kizuna and with that much gold, which is just a partial of his recovery, do you think Marcos needs that 10% from the businesses that Zobex was saying, and where did he get that information, gossip or facts, another gossip like the Camp Aguinaldo Agreement that the AFP owns all that gold and Ver is the Depository Signature and is that a fact or gossip? Gossip I do not need but hard facts, like, can he show those paper works that Ver was in fact the Depository Signature?

OH.. sorry, MY BAD.. I was thinking about Kizuna! It's him who's a Filipino. I have NO IDEA where Zobex is from.
  :-\
TW

Offline zeeker

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »
just for clarification, is kizuna a he or a she?
gender in her profile is indicated as female
continue the journey

DINDO BAYAUA

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »
Kizuna is definitely 100% MALE.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:10:40 PM by DINDO BAYAUA »

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 04:17:45 AM »
just for clarification, is kizuna a he or a she?
gender in her profile is indicated as female

HE is a MALE.
TW