Author Topic: poisonous gas  (Read 20559 times)

Offline witboy

Re: poisonous gas
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »
Bring a live chicken into the tunnel, its legs tied. Let it be the advancing party. If it begins to swoon or grow weak, run for your life. ::)
Active IJA! (Indiana Jones' Associate)

DINDO BAYAUA

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 08:00:51 PM »
Bring a live chicken into the tunnel, its legs tied. Let it be the advancing party. If it begins to swoon or grow weak, run for your life.

Bringing a caged bird (I mean, a real live bird, not the other kind  :D) on the hole is an effective method used by miners to determine the presence of break in of methane gas.

t_hunter44

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 08:59:11 PM »
Bring a live chicken into the tunnel, its legs tied. Let it be the advancing party. If it begins to swoon or grow weak, run for your life.

Bringing a caged bird (I mean, a real live bird, not the other kind  :D) on the hole is an effective method used by miners to determine the presence of break in of methane gas.
   Be kind to animals or fowls but then you can always cook it later, and use Monosodium Glutamate, just mightb soften the meat tissue, ::). Just wrap some rags on the end of a  of wooden torch, soak the rag with  kerosene, light it and drop it in the whole, making sure you are so close to the hole. If it is Methane Gas,Whoomp, you know what to expect, If not, try the Live Chicken  or like somebody prescribed, Vinegar and Water and that vinegar just might come in handy if you are cooking Adobo Chicken.
Be Safe!

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »

Birds are more sensitive to oxygen levels than humans.  That is were the Canary in a Coal mine started out.  If the Canary fell off the cage pirch then they had better get out of the tunnel/

We used a chicken in the tunnel down in Zamboanga, the one with the drums of gasoline and the depth charge.  But in this case we wanted to know what the residue was inside the vault.  So we put a bit of it in water and tried to get the chicken to drink water.  Dumb chicken would not drink water.  Sooo, we took a bit of the water and pulled the chicken feathers back on the back and put the water on the chicken's skin.  After a minute or so the chicken started to flop around and then fell on it's back shaking and kicking.  Was dead in about 3 minutes or less.  No one wanted to eat the chicken so we wasted a perfectly good chicken.

Z

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »

thanks zobex. im truly amazed by these kind of stories- true to life experiences learned from the field.

one of my friends - an industrialist-chemical engineer based in japan also had the same advice as regards chemicals found in tunnels and during digs- just flood it with water and/or blow it with air (expose it in open air= or oxidize).               

do you have more experiences , zobex regarding chemicals?

Well I can think of another case of a danger and it involved animals as well.  There are not a lot of monkeys left on Mindanao.  But like everything else we wound up with a monkey.  We used to buy a whole bunch of bananas, hang them from a rope and every one could just walk by and grab a banana when they wanted a snack.  Well the monkey figured that out real fast and started eating more than it's share of bananas.  So we raised the banana bunch higher on the rope so he could not jump to it.  That only changed the monkeys attention to an Armalite we had setting in the camp in case of rebels.  DO NOT TRUST A MONKEY WITH AN  M-16 !!!.    Slowly we separated the monkey from the rifle and the monkey went for a ride shortly after that.

Z

Offline franke

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 12:59:21 AM »
 :) Include also this, put the Monosodium Glutamate into the banana then we will see if that monkey affected, and leave the chicken at the tunnel to walk free and if still so no to know no phyton and add a little fire to that hole so that the methane gas will explode so that  we know who are to become a BBQ the monkey, chicken or the phyton.

Offline Roel125

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 04:46:15 PM »
ANTIDOTE FOR GAS POISONING.  I suggest you be ready for emergencies for when diggers are exposed to poison gases. 

Signs and symptoms :   If the person starts to cry and can not stop,  starts salivating ( naglalaway ), nahihilo and nasusuka ( nausea and vomiting ), napapaihi or natatae na di makontrol,  sumisikip and dibdib at hindi makahinga ( tight chest and difficulty breathing ) you have to act fast. This are signs of nerve gas poisoning in increasing order of seriousness.

What to do :
1) Bring the person to fresh air, away from the gas site and remove the clothing ( which can still have the gas residues )
2) Inject 1 ml of Atrophine Sulphate  IM ( intramuscular - sa puwet or sa braso ) every 1 hour, maximum of 3 injections.
3) Be ready with Oxygen breathing tank for respiratory support.
4) Send to a nearby hospital if the case is serious.

Where to buy Atrophine Sulphate.  You can request a doctor to Rx you to buy from a Drugstore ( Anespin or similar brands ) so that you are ready to use when necessary. They come in 1 ml Ampules. You will also need sterile Syringes ( 1 ml or 2 ml ) which you can easily buy without prescription.  You can buy this medicine in big quantities and 5 x cheaper in Avenida Rizal, not very far from Quiapo Church where they sell the medical supplies. The traders there are not too keen on prescriptions.

Chamber with Gases.

1) Ventilate the Tunnel or Cave for several days to let the air out. You can also use a blower to bring in fresh air.
2) Use an industrial grade gas masks with eye cover and face canisters.
3) If you have a good budget - You can use a Class A, Chemical Suit.
4) If you have no budget - You can cover your whole body and head with baby powder or flour ( for baking bread ). The powder is intended to cover the pores of your skin and prevent gas absorption.
5) Take a bath and wash yourself completely with water and soap after exiting the tunnel or cave to remove chemical residues from your body and use fresh clothes.
6) Instruct the diggers to wash their clothes thoroughly with detergent soap and flowing water ( if they don't want to throw it away )

I hope these helps save lives in this dangerous business.

Good luck.

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
Roel..nice info! Thanks for sharing.
TW

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »
Funny you post this just now.  In fact I just arrived back in USA last night from PH ( fuucking Philippine Airlines the worst airlines in the world , 4 hour delay and a 3 hour delay ) to pick up a Class A suit and some gas masks.  I have two guys in the hospital at this moment, one from kidney failure and one with some king of blood poisoning from a tunnel with trucks.  So I bar'd anyone else from going in, I will have to do it myself with a suit.  They run about 50,000 pesos minus accessories and air tank.  Will post pictures later.

Old gasoline, in particular aviation fuel, can be very toxic.  Then there is decomposing explosives.  Anti tank mines, IJA , use Picric Acid which is extremely toxic.  The IJA used some weird toxic metals that kill and are non reversible ( contact poison ) , no cure for contamination and the death is slow and painful, takes about 1-2 months.  I know of several people who have died from this.  Even the Japanese recovery teams admit, to me, that there is no cure for it but there are work around's in dealing with it.

But one of the ones I fear the most is the Dead Man Trap which is the mixture of fungus, mold and bacteria generated by purposefully deployed mass graves.  I have lost men in the past to these and only one case of one being cured.  So deal with them first and don't get killed.

Ozone and ultra-violate light.  Flood out the air and wash if possible the site with water and commercial detergent.  Then ventilate till dry.  Wear masks or suit.

Z

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 09:49:14 PM »
Zobex,

Good luck with that. Please keep us posted.

TW

Offline Roel125

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 03:41:57 PM »

I have two guys in the hospital at this moment, one from kidney failure and one with some king of blood poisoning from a tunnel with trucks.  So I bar'd anyone else from going in, I will have to do it myself with a suit.

Z

I can understand how you want to do an Indiana Jones and enter the chamber with a chemical suit by yourself. I, however, advise against it. Send in your next best man. There is a reason that Generals do not go in the frontlines  ( at least the real ones and not the ones in the movies ). If something happens to you, your project might be in a standstill or in greater peril.  Go in when it is perfectly safe.  Unless of course, no one else can do it.   And Oh, I suggest you have a trusted doctor on standby in your site.  You never know.  Just a suggestion, so that we don't lose an important resource like you in this forum.  Keep Safe whatever you decide  ;D

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 10:51:13 PM »
Well it's not a matter of ego, just very few people know how to operate inside of one of these freaking things.  It would not be right to ask someone else to get killed just to save my skin.  I'm 64  now, my wife is dead and I have no kids, just a dog and cat.  So for my group, I have the least waiting for me if someone gets killed.  Here is what a Class A suit looks like.  Imagine trying to maneuver about in one of these things.  My most trusted previous partner ( Filipino ) who wore a suit like this in a tunnel, mercury hydrate poison, he is dead now, was gunned down in 2009.

Not obvious in the pic, there are built in rubber gloves on the hands and rubber booties (under the shoes).

Z

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 10:59:54 PM »
A basic schematic of the inside of the complex and a few pictures of the way in.

Z

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 11:16:01 PM »
Well I got confusing here.  I have two projects going.  The truck tunnel at the moment and the other one, the command bunker for the end of the year .  If I remain evasive here, its for good reason.

Command bunker steps down, upper area.  Bad air down below. Command bunker has dead bodies, truck tunnel has chemical poisons .

Z

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 07:06:21 AM »
Those are awesome sites. Be careful my friend.
TW