Author Topic: "Pirate Captain Kidd's 'treasure' found in Madagascar"  (Read 3644 times)

Offline MTLcoins

"Pirate Captain Kidd's 'treasure' found in Madagascar"
« on: May 01, 2016, 11:27:11 AM »
Underwater explorers in Madagascar say they have discovered treasure belonging to the notorious 17th-Century Scottish pirate William Kidd.

A 50kg (7st 9lb) silver bar was brought to shore on Thursday on the island of Sainte Marie, from what is thought to be the wreck of the Adventure Galley.

The bar was presented to Madagascar's president at a special ceremony.

US explorer Barry Clifford says he believes there are many more such bars still in the wreck.

Capt Kidd was first appointed by the British authorities to tackle piracy but later became a ruthless criminal and was executed in 1701.
'Scepticism'

"Captain's Kidd's treasure is the stuff of legends. People have been looking for it for 300 years. To literally have it hit me on the head - I thought what the heck just happened to me. I really didn't expect this," Mr Clifford said.

"There's more down there. I know the whole bottom of the cavity where I found the silver bar is filled with metal. It's too murky down there to see what metal, but my metal detector tells me there is metal on all sides."

The BBC's Martin Vogl tweets that there is much excitement in Madagascar about the discovery and Mr Clifford's team has no doubt that the discovery is genuine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-32621444

I was on Saint Mary's island, Madagascar few month and passed by the same spot where before Barry Clifford discovered the 50 Kilo silver bar. Right near where he found the bar there's a road that takes you south of the island...I passed right on that same road..unbelievable!..I usually travel with at least one metal detector on me but on that time i had no metal detectors or equipments on me..I was just exploring the beautiful island.

Pat

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
Re: "Pirate Captain Kidd's 'treasure' found in Madagascar"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 08:15:30 PM »
Pat,

Sorry to hear you missed that one. Just keep trying and luck with be on your side next time!  :)

TW

Offline MTLcoins

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »
Thanks Tony :)....I think i misplaced the word"before" in my previous post ;D...But still I still end up with the same meaning.

I don't think what was found is from captain the kidd's treasure though because there are many shipwrecks all around Saint Mary's island..All around Madagascar actually. So this could be from any one of them. On Saint Mary's Island one can even get to visit some sunken pirate ships as well with a guide. There's even a pirates cemetery. The island was a pirates hot spot in the past and many of them lived on that island and died there.

Another thing, i think the 50 kilos should have been sold and the money given to the people of Saint Mary..Instead of giving it to the government. There's a lot of people in need of help there. Been to Madagascar many times, this is one beautiful unique island.
The fun(with me anyways) is to find something or be the first to lay your eyes on something that has been hidden for hundred or even thousands of years. Of course it's important to make money from what you find but the pleasure comes more from what you find and what you see first.

Pat

Offline Voyager

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:50:25 PM »
well it can be a crossroad for you. who knows with this, you will make TH a serious hobby. Yes sometimes it's not just about the money, it's in the adventure and excitement. But at the end of the day when you return home and saw the bills, money can make your day!

Offline MTLcoins

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:23:59 AM »
Well I've been metal detecting for many years and now things are getting more more and serious plus I'm a voyager like you(traveled a lot and keep on traveling) so that puts you in many new interesting spot to investigate and hunt for hidden time capsules.
Of course, yes i understand, but when I find something or when I'm digging what goes in my mind only is "what is hidden down there?"..It's a trill and sort of a rush few moment before and after you find something.