Author Topic: Is this stone valuable?  (Read 6060 times)

Offline La Asturiana

Is this stone valuable?
« on: October 03, 2016, 08:03:53 PM »
Good morning treasure hunters, good morning Admin.

A friend has found this stone in their digging in a site which they suspect something was buried.  This stone weighs more than 7 kilos.  Actually it was more than 8 kilos when they found it but because of taking of little portions for samples its weight and size lessen.  Does this stone has value? According to the one who found it this was place inside a wooden box buried underground.  The box was already decaying when they've found it.  Sorry for the picture, the person taking it did not place an object wherein we can compare its size.

I hope you can share your comments and ideas regarding this stone. 

Offline yamideo

Re: Is this stone valuable?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
looks like a tree sap or almaciga.. from your picture.

Offline zeeker

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »
it's blurred, pls post a clearer picture so we can give a clearer opinion ;)

continue the journey

Offline La Asturiana

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:29:52 PM »
Thank you for your comments Sirs.

Here is a clearer picture taken just today as they handed me the sample.  Sorry for I have mentioned above that the picture is more than 7 kilos, that picture they have given me above is only from the sample, not the 7 kilos, they keep the 7 kilos.

I don't think its almaciga or wood resin, its hard, its really a stone or a portion of a rock.  We doubt that it is a gemstone, only we don't have idea about how gemstones look like when still unprocessed. They found also a samurai (sword with Japanese markings) from that same site, I hope I can get some photo also of that said samurai.

The picture with file name "with flash2" is taken with a camera's flash turned on, while the picture with file name "wout flash2" is taken when flash was turned off.

Again I am hoping that you will share your ideas.

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 07:10:18 AM »
Why don't you bring the sample to a jewelry shop and get it professionally tested?
TW

Offline La Asturiana

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 07:14:06 PM »
Why don't you bring the sample to a jewelry shop and get it professionally tested?
TW

Thank you for the advise Admin.  That is what we are thinking also, but for the meantime I am posting it here because there is no known jewelry shop or jewelry maker in our place, only pawnshops are here, and I was hoping that there might be someone in this forum who is knowledgeable also in terms of identifying precious stones, at least we can save on transportation and fees that the jewelry shops might charged us in testing our sample. :)

Offline yamideo

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 09:33:47 PM »
If that is a stone, then i've seen those kind of stone in mindoro.. composition is talc and commonly called as yellow jade probably around P50 per kilo sometimes used for inlay.. there is also a dark green version of that type of stone. Gemstones have good value after it is cut and polished.

Offline La Asturiana

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 11:22:44 PM »
If that is a stone, then i've seen those kind of stone in mindoro.. composition is talc and commonly called as yellow jade probably around P50 per kilo sometimes used for inlay.. there is also a dark green version of that type of stone. Gemstones have good value after it is cut and polished.

Thank you for the input Sir Yamadeo, especially on the amount you mentioned, it would not be economical then because the bigger one they kept is only 7 kilos.  So will be expecting less from this find if ever this is yellow jade.  We will follow also sir TW's advice to have it professionally tested at a jewelry shop.  If ever this is yellow jade then I'll advise my friend to go back to their site, there might be tons of it being buried in there.   :D :D