Author Topic: Polygamy in the Philippines  (Read 3298 times)

lostgold

Polygamy in the Philippines
« on: October 03, 2021, 09:03:37 PM »
I'm curious of any Pinoys could touch on this a little bit because this is something that I have had a hard time understanding and accepting about Filipino law. Why is it that Muslims in this country can legally marry up to four wives but Christians face up to 6 years in prison for bigamy, adultery or concubinage? The idea that Christian men should generally be limited to one wife is a gross misinterpretation of the Bible. The Bible clearly says that bishops, the leaders of the church, should be limited to one wife so that they can turn more of their focus to God. You can study the book for the next million years and you will never find a passage correctly interpreted that says ALL Christian men should be limited to one wife. Indeed some of God's most favored men had many many wives. So what's going on here? I find it extremely unfair.

lostgold

Re: Polygamy in the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 09:26:13 PM »
Martin Luther famous Christian Protestant reformer: "I confess that I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God. In such a case the civil authority has nothing to do in the matter."

As for me, my conscience is quite clear. I have needs for more than my one wife can provide me. Looking around I'm sure I do not stand alone on the matter. So what have we done to ourselves gentlemen? How can this law be justified?

lostgold

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 04:12:50 PM »
You have to give to the Muslims. They don't allow the misguided authorites of the modern era to disrupt their God-given rights. Of course women want to be the only one. That's normal and human nature. They don't want any competition. It's like a survival mechanism. But these days we Christian men are weak, allowing women to rule over us and even the government policies around Christian marriage. I tried to express to my wife, look at King David. His son King Solomon. Why won't she allow me to follow in their footsteps? I am still paying for that conversation to this day.

Offline Ruby

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 04:30:57 PM »
Maybe your wife like to have another lover? ;D

lostgold

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 04:43:31 PM »
No but... I think we both know that women simply do not have the same natural desires as men. Men have it flowing through their veins and wired in to their brains. Testasterone. Women on the other hand are naturally inclined to settle down with one strong male. Their female hormones dictate such tendencies. Females have an orifice, prone to getting infected by all kinds if microorganisms. Whereas men have a probe/injector, easy to clean. Its hard to justify for a woman to behave sexually the same way as men from an evolutionary perspective. That is... If you ask me.

lostgold

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 05:02:15 PM »
To think that these things used to be widely known, understood and accepted. I tend to agree with the Mormons here. This whole idea of all Christian men being limited to a single wife is the work/schemes of satan. Solely responsible for the divorce rate being completely out of control. We lost our true God given nature.

lostgold

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 05:04:26 PM »
From a mathematical perspective it makes no sense at all for the Philippines. Unless you want the country to be dominated by a vast Muslim majority. Eventually, they will clearly out breed you!

lostgold

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 05:12:02 PM »
 ;D Good talk.

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 03:54:38 PM »
If a Muslim has the financial capacity to have several wives then he's allowed to do so. That's in their culture.
TW

Offline Ruby

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 07:19:13 PM »
If a Muslim has the financial capacity to have several wives then he's allowed to do so. That's in their culture.
TW

Not in all countries.

Polygamy is an option and not a requirement in Islam.51 As was mentioned earlier, Muslims must follow
the  laws  of  the  land  that  they  live  in  as  long  as  it  does  not  contradict  the  requirements  of  the  faith.52 In
America,  polygamy  is  illegal.53  As  a  result,  it  is  Islamically  unacceptable  for  Muslims  in  America  to
practice  polygamy.   Muslims  living  in  countries  where  polygamy  is  legal  and  practiced  may  choose  to

include  in  their  marriage  contract  that  the  husband  not  take  any  other  wives.

https://open.mitchellhamline.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=lawandpractice

lostgold

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 05:56:22 AM »
TW

Yes, its in their culture. It is "in my culture" too. So where is my human right?  ;)

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 10:17:32 AM »
Human Right? That's their religion so I'm not even sure how to respond to your question.
TW

lostgold

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 03:22:51 PM »
Human Right? That's their religion so I'm not even sure how to respond to your question.
TW

Actually no. Its not "their religion". Polygamy is not something that is commanded by the prophet Mohammed or Allah. Its simply something that was a widespread customary practice that is still acceptable to Islam. Something that hasn't grown to be condemned in this modern era. The only reason it is now condemned in Christianity is because of a misinterpretation of the Bible. Usually when someone places a winking smiley face behind a sentence, its a sign that you shouldn't take it so seriously. But since I'm shocked by the fact that you can't see how unfair the law is in the Philippines, I'll break it down for you. Locking Christians in a cage for practicing polygamy while Muslims can freely marry up to four wives, based on a completely false interpretation of the Bible, is absolutely a violation of human rights according to any standard. Anyone should be able to see that very clearly.

lostgold

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 04:12:14 PM »
Good topic for conversation but obviously it won't make any impact on the law so none of it can really be taken that seriously. Muslim men deserve props for not allowing nature to be flipped upside down and letting their women control every aspect of their lives. That I can tell you.