Author Topic: Engine Driven Generator Sets, Submersible Pumps Engine Driven Centrifugal Pumps  (Read 7119 times)

t_hunter44

Engine Driven Generator Sets in the Treasure Hunting World of ours is mostly used to provide electrical power for lighting, powering Jackhammers,Electric Drills and Submersible Pumps. Portable Engine Driven Generator Sets are used on the field where no local power is available, can be driven by gasoline or diesel fuel engines. When purchasing one, be aware of the Rated output, expressed in Watts, for an example, Stanley Generator Set, 8,000 Watt-10,000 Surge Watt, 15 HP Engine.The 8,000 watts rated capacity is for Continuous Load while the Surge Watts of 10,000 is momentary overload that it can handle, like a Submersible pump starting, for an Electric Motor will draw more power when starting. Running the Genset more than its normal rated capacity can cause burnout generator windings and it is not cheap to get a rewind job.
      Submersible Pumps is rated in HP, take note of the Specifications, example; HP-2, Ph-1, GPM-195, Max. solid intake-1.1 ", Max Head-42 Ft., Port NPT-3", Volts-AC@60HZ-230 V, Starting Amps and Running amps. Submersible Pumps can be categorized as Trash Pumps like the example stated or just for Clean Water and I suggest you get a Sewage or Trash Pump for a half inch rock suck in will play havoc on your pump impeller if you have a pump only for clean water. Max Head or TDH is how high your pump can discharge the water in vertical feet . Better get an over rated Pump as it will cost you less in the long run. Just because the water in your dig site is 35 feet and you will get that 35 feet Max Head, when you are digging , it gets deeper and soon you will exceed your max head, then you will need another pump. If the Max Head is exceeded, the 1st pump can discharge to a CONTAINER, place the 2nd pump in that container to pump out the water and you can keep doing this, depending on how much load your Genset can carry. Know the Starting Amps and the Running Amps as it plays an important role on your Genset. Starting Amps can be as much as 4 or more times your Running Amps, depending on Voltage and you do not want to Exceed your Surge Watts on your Generator. When Volts and Power are known,FOR SINGLE PHASE, Power(watts)=Volts x Amperes and if Kilovolt-ampere is known .Amperes= KVA x 1000
                                       e(VOLTS)
      Engine Driven Centrifugal Pumps is preferred if you have shallow pits or holes as they are Self-Driven, no need for a Generator but they cannot be lowered or run in a confined space as the exhaust from the engine produces Carbon Monoxide, a fatal tasteless, odorless and colorless gas that has lead to a  lot of fatalities in the TH community. Suggest that you install a Check Valve or Foot Valve at the suction end to prevent the water from running out when the pump is idle, saves you on fuel or repetitive Priming of the pump.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:50:05 PM by t_hunter44 »

Offline Janner

This is a good post also Vinces topic as well, however we need a "Technical Thread" that would contain all this type of topic,

"Technical Thread"
Pumps,Motors etc and Formulas"

so will ask TW to make one specifically for this topic...

Janner

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:37:04 PM by Janner »

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
This is a good post also Vinces topic as well, however we need a "Technical Thread" that would contain all this type of topic,

"Technical Thread"
Pumps,Motors etc and Formulas"

so will ask TW to make one specifically for this topic...

Janner

Its done already. Good suggestion, gents!
TW

Offline Janner

Brilliant,

there we go guys, now all your techy info and questions here, and i am sure DB and T44 are going to have fun..... ;)

t_hunter44

Treasure Hunter Dreams of having;      1. Portable Generator Set
                                                       2. Portable Centrifugal Pump
                                                       3. Submersible Pump
                                                       4. Roto-Hammer or Hammer Drill
                                                       5. Demolition Hammer or Jackhammer
                                                       6. GPR or a Good High Quality Scanning Device
                                                       7. Good and Safe Project Sites
    And to top it off; Strong Body and a Strong Determination to Continue his/ her quest, Lots of Luck, True People around him/her and of course, a   Bottomless Money Pit  ;) ::)    
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:15:35 AM by t_hunter44 »

Offline bfgates

t_hunter44

Showfou Submersible de-watering pump, 5 HP 3PHASE, Max Head 100ft..... how do i compute for surge watts and the running watts. thanks

How many watts genset do i need to accomodate this 1 unit 5hp pump?

You have a very much informative topic here.

bfgates
That others may be praised and I unnoticed....

Offline Commando

t_hunter44

Showfou Submersible de-watering pump, 5 HP 3PHASE, Max Head 100ft..... how do i compute for surge watts and the running watts. thanks

How many watts genset do i need to accomodate this 1 unit 5hp pump?

You have a very much informative topic here.

bfgates

Bf Gates

I will suggest that you purchase a multi- stage submersible pump 3hp (Goulds pumps) very reliable and can reach 200 ft plus. you will only need 10 kva generator set.. Practical but expensive.

Offline bfgates

commando,

goulds pumps are more than double the price of a showfou pump from taiwan. ..

what is a multi stage sir, does it mean 2 piece 3hp in series?

Offline Commando

bfgates

It's multi-impellers pump. Each stage/ impeller of the pump can bring up water up to 30 feet. If you use 7 stage 3hp pump can bring up water up to 210 feet with 40 gallons per minute. Very efficient No worry how deep is your target. But the price is 4x the showfou. Before we used 3hp showfou and coupled with 2 Hp centrifugal pump. Also effective but not as efficient as multi stage submersible pump.

Offline bfgates

ah, i think i have seen one 7.5 hp multi stage with 3 impellers.....we have used one in our small scale mining, it was borrowed by my buddy from someone.......yah...newbie in mining....

Offline raquel_lyks

• Global Moderator
  • Viewing Who's Online.
guy's how about this pump... ??? ??? ???

here the linked: http://www.wellpumps.be/DOC_USA_red.pdf

Raqz ;)
:) : Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together..:)

Offline bfgates

raqz,

i think those pump are for deep well purposes, for clean water only, they are not dewatering pump, although same as submersible. submersible dewatering pump are much good in dewatering, as they say. just an opinion.

Offline raquel_lyks

• Global Moderator
  • Viewing Who's Online.
bfg,
      ah okey i got it.... :D thanks... :D

Raqz ;)
:) : Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together..:)

t_hunter44

raqz,

i think those pump are for deep well purposes, for clean water only, they are not dewatering pump, although same as submersible. submersible dewatering pump are much good in dewatering, as they say. just an opinion.
    Before buying a Submersible Pump, make sure it is the right one for your application. Like BFG said on his reply to Raqz, the pump referred to is a Well Pump, high TDH but 0nly for clean water and all those so called Multi-stage Submersible Pumps with a really high TDH is for Clean Water and is not fit for Open Pit Dewatering as you have Mud and even Rocks  and those Rocks will play havoc on your pump impeller. For OPEN PIT like in treasure hunting, you will need a Submersible Trash Pump as it can take a 1/2" rock  or some can take in 3/4" rock. The TDH will suffer slightly compared to a Submersible Pump only for clean water. Specs should be on the Paperwork that goes with it and some important info should be on the Product Nameplate. Please do your own research,DO NOT BELIEVE all that you read here or even your hardware salesman, or even me for that matter. ;D

DINDO BAYAUA

Before buying a Submersible Pump, make sure it is the right one for your application. Like BFG said on his reply to Raqz, the pump referred to is a Well Pump, high TDH but 0nly for clean water and all those so called Multi-stage Submersible Pumps with a really high TDH is for Clean Water and is not fit for Open Pit Dewatering as you have Mud and even Rocks  and those Rocks will play havoc on your pump impeller. For OPEN PIT like in treasure hunting, you will need a Submersible Trash Pump as it can take a 1/2" rock  or some can take in 3/4" rock. The TDH will suffer slightly compared to a Submersible Pump only for clean water. Specs should be on the Paperwork that goes with it and some important info should be on the Product Nameplate. Please do your own research,DO NOT BELIEVE all that you read here or even your hardware salesman, or even me for that matter. Grin

I was beginning to plan to take the electric water pump for the household use of my father-in-law, now I know that that cannot be. Thanks for the advice.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:41:07 AM by DINDO BAYAUA »