Author Topic: Secrets in treasure hunting  (Read 8450 times)

Offline Janner

Re: Secrets in treasure hunting
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 05:54:28 PM »
The so called 7 secrets if treasure hunting sounds like common sense to me....
example.........

Seven Secrets of Treasure Hunting..or (Common sense)

1. The 'playing field' is not always as it seems. It offers illusion of grandeur, excitement and false pride. It is a quicksand that engulfs one's totality.... BEWARE not to be trap in this field. (Gold fever?)
2. Beware for the ‘snake’ that disguised as a lowly worm, and for the ‘lowly worm’ who disguised as a cunning snake. (Wolf in Sheeps clothing)
3. A ton of information is useless if not properly apportioned. (Most people who talk a lot, dont have a lot to say)[/b]
4. Don't promise golden spoon to your love one, while depriving the bread for their sustenance. (Dont rob Peter to pay Paul)[/b]
5. Weigh the 'golden story' against the man's credibility. (Is he/she trustworthy)
6. If you study the site vicinity, you must include your fellow hunter's brain activity.
(Sharing knowledge?)
7. If the treasure is just underneath, you will get it if it is there.
[i](And if its not, you wont)[/i]

Offline fontokis

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »
Thanks Angel_09 for imparting those seven7 secret of yours...
easy for you to say its common sense but people like me does not make sense sometimes and always lured to cross the boundary of nonsense in TH if no one out there is constantly reminding this forgetful mind

Angel_09

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »
"But time is changing
and everyone's time is running out,....."

This statement refers to the time span when Filipinos start hunting treasures. In the beginning, it is only a hobby, just like "killing time". But as time goes by, which counted sometimes 3 to 4 decades, this hobby is no longer productive in the life of the hunters, instead of killing time, "time kills them", not only physically, but financially, emotionally and mentally.
As stated in no.1 secret, though it seems so simple and very easy to understand statement, it reflects the overall attitude of an individual who have sink to the quicksand of fallacies.
I have seen active men who are more senior than me, active in this field, narrating their 'incredible' knowledge about treasures, whom I admired so much...and as I turned back my head to look for them, they are all gone...without nothing...except their stories. And the families are weeping, not because they missed him, but because they were free from the clutch of this elusive dream.
And for all those who are still active, we can still steer a few degrees to shed some changes about our perception in this field...

BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG...TREASURES REALLY EXIST!!! It only matters how we view it.

Offline Janner

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 02:19:53 PM »
Treasures are what you seek, find or have.
I have my first treasure and thats my family..and nothing can surpass that one....

anything extra to that is just the icing on the cake..
I was fortunate to have wealthy parents and inherited their estate. I have a good business in the UK so, i am quite comfortable.

but the excitement of the lure of treasure hunting is quite good, the trails, the sites, the possibilities are endless...
but..its only a hobby that does not control my life, or will it.

as a hobby, maybe this weekend or next, or even a weeks trek in the mountains is a good exercise for those who spend 10hrs a day on a pc....

so you see, treasure is all around you, seek and you will find, but gold fever will destroy you for sure !!

Angel_09

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
My mentor used the word ‘snake’ to signify ‘sneak’. And history tells us that this limbless reptile is often analogous to a deceitful or treacherous person. Though no. 2 secret seems self explanatory, it expounds the human characteristics that we should be aware of. As the ‘first snake’ happens to be a ‘sweet talker’, let us be aware that sometimes ‘sweet talks’ are not that sweet at all.

Offline Janner

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 05:52:26 PM »
My mentor used the word ‘snake’ to signify ‘sneak’. And history tells us that this limbless reptile is often analogous to a deceitful or treacherous person..

I just googled the snake, and found that it is mostly connected to either healing or good luck, and most religions do not say that it is deceitful, (except when Eve met the snake..) which seems strange to your statement above. (would like to Google that, where is it?)

Angel_09

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »
The word 'snake' was used metaphorically instead of literally. It is a figure of speech in which an expression is used to refer to something that it does not literally denote in order to suggest a similarity.

In the bible, 'snake' was also used to denote deceit and treachery, but not as the literal snake; in which it is the devil himself who cheated Adam and Eve.

The use of word 'snake' as I expound it, have a similar metaphorical meaning from WordWeb, an online dictionary, where its definitions conforms with the essence of no. 2 secret.

Offline Janner

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 08:13:26 PM »
i wonder if the rest of the members here can understand your words ?

you know layman's language is spoken so as the majority will understand.........

Angel_09

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 08:43:37 PM »
Well, it's a layman's term, translated only in english.

Would it be O.K. if I explained it all in vernacular?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:45:26 PM by Angel_09 »

Offline Janner

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »
I dont know anyone that even talks like that.......and i am English....

Angel_09

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 08:52:18 PM »
As an example of layman's term in Filipino (most commonly heard everywhere):

1. Isa kang ahas! Translation: You're a snake!  (means 'traidor' or treacherous in english)

2. Para kang pagong. Translation: You're like a turtle. (means very slow in movement)

Offline Janner

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 09:16:17 PM »
That is not how you phrased your previous post is it.... ? (in english)

I dont think you would be even understood in england using phrases like that
so how do these guys understand it. ?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:30:54 PM by Janner »

Angel_09

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 09:55:10 PM »
"Well, I'll cross the bridge when I reach it."  another example of metaphorical phrase or statement. This means that If I wanted to be understood by British, or by any citizen from United kingdom, I will try to fit in to their system to adapt myself. If I will be in constant communication with them, say everyday, I will exert extra effort to understand them so as not to offend them....if they didn't conform with my cultural upbringing.
Don't you think this is the ideal 'two way traffic' to be followed by everybody?

As what they always says" When you are in Rome, do what the romans do" another example of metaphorical statement.

Angel_09

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 10:20:32 PM »
Information are the sources of activity. But if the information are 'half bake' and devoid of facts, it will become useless and will be the source of wasted effort and resources  in all activity... especially in treasure hunting activity.
I have seen treasure hunters who started enthusiastic and end up disappointed because of these half baked information. This is the essence of secret no. 3.

Offline Janner

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 11:21:01 PM »
But, your not in England, your talking English to members here in this forum, who probably do not have a full command of English, therefore doesnt it make sense to post in simpler terms so that they can understand the English that you are posting?

as for two way traffic, i think its better that the English used is understood by everyone opposed to only a few
so that those who are unable to read your post, will not just skip over it without understanding a word you said..

big words do not impress, only confuse.....thats why my English is kept to a simple standard which i hope is understood by all(?)

I can use the big words to, but dont see the point of confusing people with a level of English that is to high for them.
Like when i was teaching English in Korea Universities, they wanted the every day conversation English so they would be understood, not Oxford Level which is hard to understand...

and no metaphors here, i dont use them !