Author Topic: Chile's trapped miners finally set to escape  (Read 3187 times)

Offline raquel_lyks

• Global Moderator
  • Viewing Who's Online.
Chile's trapped miners finally set to escape
« on: October 14, 2010, 05:58:46 AM »
Chile (Reuters) - The first of 33 trapped miners will be pulled to safety in a capsule barely wider than a man's shoulders on Tuesday night as a two-month ordeal deep inside a Chilean mine draws to an end.

The men have spent 68 days in the hot, humid bowels of a gold and copper mine in Chile's northern Atacama desert after an August 5 collapse. They now face a claustrophobic journey to the surface in the specially made steel cages, equipped with oxygen masks and escape hatches in case they get stuck.

The miners will be hoisted out one at a time in a two-day operation. The capsule will travel at about 3 feet/(1m) per second, or a casual walking pace, and speed to 10 feet/(3m) per second if the miner being carried gets into trouble.

With Chileans anxiously following the rescue on television, President Sebastian Pinera asked for all churches in the South American nation to ring their bells in celebration when the first miner emerges from the shaft.

Nervous wives, children, parents and friends waited on an arid, rocky hillside around 2,050 feet (625 meters) above the miners, and rescue teams planned to start the rescue operation after 10 p.m.

here the linked: http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/8124421/chiles-trapped-miners-finally-set-to-escape/
:) : Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together..:)

Offline boboi

Re: Chile's trapped miners finally set to escape
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:04:02 AM »
lucky guys...

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »
Yes, those are some very lucky guys. I saw this on TV also.
TW

Offline Janner

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 02:01:04 AM »
lots of admiration for this rescue, how ever did they survive for 2 plus month down there, what did they eat or drink....?
Quite amazing, and cuedos for the rescue teams and engineers...

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 03:29:14 AM »
Janner,

Once it was discovered they were alive down there, a small hole was drilled to their location and food and water has been passed down to the miners to keep them alive all this time.

TW

Offline boboi

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 03:49:12 AM »
i remember when i was young when the lepanto mining somewhere in surigao region, mindanao collapsed.all miners hundreds of feet underneath were trapped to death.after two weeks of rescuing efforts by drilling down into the earth they were able to hit the portion where the two lucky guys sitting in the dark hopelessly waiting for their death to come." is there anyone alive down there?"the voices of hope from the surface finally came in.they were rescued then.out of thousands of people down only 2 were survived!
as their second lives the owner of the mining company(americans) financed them to tour around the world !!