Author Topic: Small-scale miners seek gov’t help for livelihood  (Read 21690 times)

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
Small-scale miners seek gov’t help for livelihood
« on: June 05, 2012, 05:33:13 AM »
Really missed this forum, here's to share something again;

In the aftermath of the Comval province landslide, local officials immediately passed an ordinance totally banning gold mining in Pantucan, Compostela. As a result of the law, thousands of residents have lost their only sources of income.

People can always talk all sorts of problems and throw all sorts of blames whenever disaster strikes, but who is talking about solutions? Who is talking about alternatives to lost livelihood? ......

Small-scale miners seek gov’t help for livelihood
Inquirer Mindanao
9:23 pm | Sunday, March 4th, 2012

DAVAO CITY—Small-scale miners in Southern Mindanao are pressing the government for assistance to develop their livelihood instead of pressuring them into closing their mining areas.

In a rally in front of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) regional office here on Friday, some 100 miners, mostly from Compostela Valley, called on the government to stop taking a “pro-foreign mining” stance.

While the government pampers foreign and large-scale companies with financial assistance, including tax holidays of up to 10 years, it also exerts effort to kill the small-scale mining industry, they said. They cited government orders shutting down small-scale mining areas in many areas in Mindanao while encouraging large-scale investments.

Emelinda Bala, secretary of the Federation of Small-Scale Miners of Compostela Valley, said what the government should do is to legislate a pro-people Mining Act instead to help local miners grow.

“Since its passage into law (Mining Act of 1995), small-scale miners never received help that will develop the local mining industry,”ť Bala said.

On the contrary, she said, the government launched a campaign to stifle small-scale mining, citing the closure of mining areas in Pantukan, Compostela Valley, which were recently hit by landslides.

“The double-standard policy of the government in forcing us to close our tunnels while allowing the exploration of foreign and large-scale mining corporations to continue in Compostela Valley is despicable,” Bala said.

Noel Angeles, officer in charge of the mining environment and safety division of the MGB in Southern Mindanao, said the small-scale miners were wrong to think the government was not concerned about their plight.

But he acknowledged that the government had been discouraging mining in identified danger zones.

“We have to regulate the operations and support each other,” he said, adding that disaster prevention was the government’s primary goal.

Angeles said the government was encouraging large-scale mining because big companies had the financial and technical capability to develop mining areas.

“Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.”
---William Jennings Bryan

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
Re: Small-scale miners seek gov’t help for livelihood
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:48:49 AM »
PRESENT STATE OF PHILIPPINE MINING

Environmental advocates have been pushing for a total ban of mining operations in the Philippines. They allege that mining has caused irreversible degradation to the environment, posing constant threat to local communities.

It is easy for people to view mining in a negative perspective because it is always an object of blame whenever there is a disaster that has something to do with mining operations, legal or illegal.

Mining per se is not a problem - regulation is. Many of the mining companies in the country are operating without proper public consultation because in the first place, decisions on where and when to operate are made by few individuals in the government. If there is public consultation, it is only skin-deep. It does not really address people’s concerns as to what extent mining would affect their lives.

But if regulated properly, mining can bring in tremendous economic benefits to the country. America, for instance, before it became a world economic superpower fueled by research and innovations, was once a mining haven in the world. Before mining came into existence in Britain, mining gold and copper had already started in the US as early as 1705. And as early as 1848, the California Gold Rush term became a magnet for investments.

According to state.gov, the mining potential of the Philippines remains an unexplored trove of treasure. Here’s what the article says:

“The Philippines is one of the world's most highly mineralized countries, with untapped mineral wealth estimated at more than $840 billion. Philippine copper, gold, and chromate deposits are among the largest in the world. Other important minerals include nickel, silver, coal, gypsum, and sulfur. The Philippines also has significant deposits of clay, limestone, marble, silica, and phosphate. Natural gas reserves discovered off Palawan have been brought on-line to generate electricity.”

“Despite its rich mineral deposits, the Philippine mining industry is just a fraction of what it was in the 1970s and 1980s when the country ranked among the 10 leading gold and copper producers worldwide. Low metal prices, high production costs, and lack of investment in infrastructure contributed to the industry's overall decline. A December 2004 Supreme Court decision upheld the constitutionality of the 1995 Mining Act, thereby allowing up to 100% foreign-owned companies to invest in large-scale exploration, development, and utilization of minerals, oil, and gas. Some local government units have enacted mining bans in their territories, citing concerns over environmental degradation, unequal distribution of tax revenue, unemployment caused by displacement of small-scale miners, and marginalization of Indigenous People.”

That sums up the state of mining industry in the country. Our position is that mining can invigorate our economy if it is done well.

Rather than being operated by foreign companies, it is best that the government itself would handle mining operations, perhaps in partnership with some foreign capitalists, and return the profit to our people.

The sad fact is that the Philippines is not benefiting that much from mining operations since most of the raw materials are shipped abroad. Mining can do good to the country if the Filipinos themselves are the investors and the products are used here. But that is not the case. We are just exporters of raw materials, not manufacturers of products taken from mined materials.

The government, though it makes money from taxes, is eventually left on cleaning up the debris and wastes abandoned by foreign mining companies.

I always stand for the lowly small scale miners and i call for the government to support them in a concrete and definitive action.
In my little own ways, i will post excerpts from a small scale training manual, digging the abc's of mining, purposely to impart foundational knowledge and TO INFORM FILIPINO SMALL SCALE MINERS OF BOTH OLD AND NEW SMALL SCALE GOLD MINING METHODS.
(And hopefully get a few more grams out of the ground and for them to safely do it to protect themselves as well as to take care also of the environment).

That will follow soon.....
“Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.”

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:09:36 AM »
Awesome! Welcome back, Ben!
TW

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:46:38 AM »
BASIC    SMALL SCALE  MINING         

Handbook for the small scale gold miner.

Tried attaching the MS word but it says my attachment is so big.

Better post it here bit by bit

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:51:55 AM »
BASIC  SMALL SCALE  MINING        

Handbook for the small scale gold miner.

A BASIC INTRODUCTION TO
SMALL SCALE MINING
By Ben Valmores

There’s gold in these rocks
Less mercury, more gold and better health

CONTENTS
CHAPTER PAGE

Introduction…………………………………………………………    1

Before you start…………………………………………………….. 2

What is gold………………………………………………………… 3-4

Mining Tenements Control Map of  Region XI……… ...5

The formation of gold deposits…………………………… 6-7

Indicators…………………………………………………………… 8-12

Where and how to sample…………………………………13-17

to be continued.......
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:09:42 PM by DINDO BAYAUA »

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 05:00:56 AM »
INTRODUCTION

The purpose of this book is to provide the reader with the basic information necessary to be able to go out, find, mine and sell their gold.
I have tried to explain things as simply as possible using diagrams and pictures when relevant.

None of the methods in this book are definitive and there are hundreds of variations on these and probably many more. In my experience these are the easiest and most tried and tested.

If you are already mining, useful information on some of the modern methods and machines will be mentioned. Also methods and equipment used in different parts of the world.

The history of gold mining will not be covered as this would fill too much space. If you research the history of an area it can help you to find where gold has been found in the past and there is probably still some left.
All measurements will be metric. Conversion tables are included in the back of this book.
Remember the gold price is changing constantly; make sure you know what it is worth before you start mining.
 Gold deposits that contain less than one gram per ton will not be discussed, as mining these requires large processing plants that can process hundreds of tons per hour in order to make them pay. The basic principles of gravity concentration are the same with most operations the only differing factor is the scale on which this is undertaken.

BEFORE YOU START

If you want to become a successful gold miner you should always start by finding out the mining laws and regulations for the area you are going to search. You cannot mine or prospect properly if you are in danger of either getting caught by the angry land or claim owner. My advice is, always get the law on your side and do things by the book, this way no one is going to take your gold, your equipment or your freedom. There may be disputes with other miners or claim owners but if your papers are all correct and you are doing nothing illegal, you will win these.

First you will need an area to prospect, have the proper tools and equipments, and remember it costs money to get started.
In the mining industry, information is the key to success. All aspects of mining require you to know what, why, how, who, where. Gathering this information is a continual process that never stops. Keep your ears and eyes open, ask questions and learn as much as you can. As time goes on you will become a better and better miner.

Get to know people who are in the mining industry and ask questions. You will mostly get reliable information but not always, do not believe everything you are told. There is a saying that a miner is a liar with a hole, this is because if he is finding gold, chances are he wants to keep quiet.
So take all information and try to sort out the truth from the stories, this gets easier with experience.

WHAT IS GOLD?

Before we look at where to find gold, you need to know what gold is and how to recognize it.

Gold or Au (scientific symbol) has a yellow metallic shine and is heavier than all other metals, except a few of the platinum metals. It weighs 18.3 times more than water. It can be flattened with a hammer until it is so thin you can see through it and it will not crack or crumble. Nothing can destroy gold as it is one of the elements. Once you have seen real gold you will never mistake anything else for it. Before you go looking for gold find someone who has some in its natural form and feel it in your hand, you will not forget how it looks and feels.

It is found in its natural form as nuggets; which are normally 0.2 grams or larger and look like lumps of gold that has been melted. This is the way they were formed in the host rock. They sometimes still show traces of this rock in the gold. Nuggets
can take any form, size and shape; the surface can be smooth and shiny or rough and dull. No two pieces are the same.
Flakes and specks; found either as formed in the rock or which have been flattened or rolled by the natural process of erosion, weather and water.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:35:38 PM by DINDO BAYAUA »

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 05:23:20 AM »

Gold dust and micro gold; can be visible or only visible with a microscope and requires special treatment to recover from host material.  Gold found in nature is usually an alloy, containing between 50% and 95% gold, the rest being either silver, copper, other metals or a mixture. To get pure gold it has to be refined by various methods. Its purity is measured in parts per thousand ending at 999.9% purity or 24 carat gold. Unless you refine your own gold you will have to sell your gold under the international gold price, because your gold is not pure and it needs refining which costs money. Nuggets can sometimes fetch more than the gold price. The gold normally found by miners is above 70% pure.

Gold fever is the feeling you will get when you find your first gold, some of you will spend the rest of your life looking for gold and often enjoy this feeling.
Gold prospecting and mining can lead to an independent lifestyle with the possibility of getting rich. You will see wonderful nature, meet interesting people but make no mistake in thinking it is easy. Hard work and knowledge are the keys to being a successful miner. Be prepared for this before you start, a strong back and a clear head will be needed.

In the beginning luck will play a large part in how much gold you find, as you become more experienced and learn where gold is often found, luck will become less relevant. The element of luck will however never disappear completely.

Mining Tenements Control Map in Region XI, Philippines as released by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau
as of March 2012

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 06:14:08 AM »
I'll continue posting the other parts later, got to find some better ways to attach docs.

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 06:37:44 AM »
I'll continue posting the other parts later, got to find some better ways to attach docs.

Ben please email it to me at my info@tseatc.com and I will convert it to a PDF file then it's much smaller. I'll upload it here after that.

TW

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »
ok Admin TW, i will send it to you the moment i will complete it.
Thanks

Offline gpr45

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »
to all fllow read this message of ben valmores small scale mining this guy is crock he is the one who decieve me for small scale mining in compostela valley, im from state of Hawaii hes real name is ariel apigo if you encounter this guy dont lesten to him. he is a profesional scamer.

t_hunter44

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 12:45:06 AM »
to all fllow read this message of ben valmores small scale mining this guy is crock he is the one who decieve me for small scale mining in compostela valley, im from state of Hawaii hes real name is ariel apigo if you encounter this guy dont lesten to him. he is a profesional scamer.
      Sorry to hear about you being scammed by a certain Ben Valmores. Do you have a photo of this said guy, if you do, pls post it here for everyone to see, if you don't have one, can you at least fully describe the guy. By the way,How did he scam you? Please tell us the circumstances how this guy victimized you.

Offline gpr45

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »
some times back in March 2009 I was in this site and I read his post he need some help in his prospected 3sur site to be scan, since im going vacation in Philippines I contact him i have the gudgets he looking for a GPR and we concluded to meet in Digos City Mindanao and short story it happened we agree for it indeed the scanning. after that few months of his operation they stop digging in there operation insted he contact me again, he send me some (good gold ore rocks) and he convince me to finance a small scale mining in the province of compostela valley, by short story for 2 monhts he keep sending me a rich of gold spots in rocks since i am a geologist i finally convence to send him money to treansing are to operate for small mining for 4months continue sending money while im working here in Hawaii. on the 5th months i dcided to go viset them to make atest load of what they harvest already but when i arrive no rockof gold ore that load in the plant the half a million pesos i send it turns to nothing. I found out that he spend my money for his drunking vice and his family in other words he tresure in my pocket thats my sad story for going to the philippines with this guy using the name of Ben valmores his real name is (Ariel Apigo) 

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 01:44:29 AM »
ok como'n Val Agustin you are a big liar. Yes, from among the many kind hearted guy whom i tried to solicit help you are the one i chose because you always speak about God,( i was a beginner then but have  sites i studied but i do not have the necessary gadgets, i opened up to you, what i detailed will be what you got to see, i never hide anything, why have you not faced me when we are in the mining area, i referred the problem that have risen to the barangay officials but you did not dare face me, we've seen each other but you never arranged a meeting between us-YOU BELIEVED THE PERSONS THAT ROBS US IN THE FIRST PLACE, THE SONS OF THE LANDOWNER) i thought then you are the very kindhearted people all amongst the many who volunteered to help, But you are the opposite. When you first came to voluntarily scan my sites, It was you who first mentioned money, that you were short of money to fly to my area which is Davao and you ask me to shoulder your plane ticket from Cebu to Davao (i was shocked because you never mentioned before hand that i will be shouldering your plane ticket- worst you bring along another man, so two of you i paid plane tickets.
You hit me in this site, why haven't you, in the first place looked for the proper forum for us to meet.
I am prepared in everything, every details of it all... and i will respond accordingly.
You are the ones who solicited money from your counterparts and from your relatives in Hawai. Do not blame me for all your mis-adventures, be man be gentleman and be professional enough, to count your failures in which in your own making. If you spent money, i also spent my money, we we lost altogether when you kicked me out in the operation, you tried to please so hard the CULPRITS WHO ROB our stocks of ores. Now i am inclined to post it all here.
You have your failings, and i have mine too but be MAN ENOUGH to admit failures that are your own making.

Offline Ben Valmores

• さくら さくら
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 02:03:01 AM »
I will DARE confront you here because you are a BIG liar VALENTINO AGUSTIN. We have contracts, but you did not signed it, i was your representative for the operation, what a HALF A MILLION PESOS?, maybe it could run that way if you included your personal expenses, expenses you incurred before we met, expenses you incurred with your girlfriend and girlfriends family. I have all the reciepts here, even the reciepts issued buy the market vendors in Camanlangan, i have it all here recorded, kept for i know, after you roam around the Philippines and or in Mindanao, after you will incur losses to some of your adventures after we split, you will blame me for everything. And now is that how you act, i have even seen you in Camanlangan again yet you did not arrange a meeting for us to settle matters.
The problem started when my supposed old trusted Melencio Agustin ( i even selected this guy to be with us at least you would be comfortable with him. but what happened he and the Agbong brothers hatched their black scheme, and when i reported to you that those brorthers robbed us our ores you pretended to believe me but when i turned my back you connived with the VERY PERSONS, the CULPRITS and you kicked me out!!!
We  had a showdown remember? you challenged us for a test load, short story, we gathered some few grams of raw but of 22 karat quality gold out of only 1 puyong, we "cooked" the mercurized gold and you RETRIEVED it, is that what you say no operation happened.
Now, when you arrived JIMBOY closed the trench and hole we are working because he did not like your atitude okay but, you could have KNOWN the TRUTH if you could only have LISTENED to me.