Author Topic: U.S. Troops Find 2,000 Gold Bars  (Read 12146 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
U.S. Troops Find 2,000 Gold Bars
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »
Treasure Hunt News / May 10, 2010

U.S. officials believe they have caught Iraqis trying to smuggle a half billion dollars in gold into Syria.

Soldiers from the Army’s 3rd Armored Cavalry Division stumbled on the cache Thursday during a routine traffic stop at a checkpoint near the Syrian border, Central Command announced today.

Soldiers stopped two Iraqis driving in a Mercedes truck filled with 2,000 40-pound gold bars, Army officials say.

The two Iraqis said they believed the truck was loaded with bronze. They say someone paid them the Iraqi equivalent of just $350 to drive the bars to a meeting point near the border town of Al Qaim.

The Army plans to test the bars just to be sure that it is gold. But they now say the find may turn out to have a total worth of $500 million.

But U.S. officials are hopeful that this may be half of the $1 billion in gold believed stashed away just before the war by Saddam Hussein and his sons.

LINK: http://ht.ly/1J0Kw

Offline Gener

Re: U.S. Troops Find 2,000 Gold Bars
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 12:26:22 PM »
This was once believed to be bronze but everyone in the middle east knows that it was just a cover-up! they were real gold bars and was been proven by some credible witnesses..yet nobody knows an american soldier who managed to turn his bullet proof vest into gold vest and successfully bring it in germany. now he enjoys his life as civilian.

Offline Janner

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »
it was quite incredible, when in Iraq I saw a water tanker full of gold bars, the value of that must have been millions..

The treasury guys took the serial numbers of dollar notes that filled a room from floor to ceiling. And that room was like a basket ball court.

Then they burned the lot....what a waste :o

but according to the Intel, that was only a small part of what was hidden...???

t_hunter44

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »
Janner,
     I think the reason why they burned it was because it was counterfeit money as that country was the biggest dollar counterfeit producer at the time.

Offline Janner

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
they burned it due to the incredible size of the cash, easier than transporting it to the US.
They also did this when i was in Columbia, when a drug lord was captured, (Escobar) and they found a "Warehouse" full of cash. The amount was staggering...Just cant imagine a warehouse full of cash, but there it was...mind blowing.

Not to mention his mansions as well full of cash, it was everywhere, cabinets, under the stairs, in the walls even the Treasury guys said it was almost to the point of ridiculous....

Offline Gboy

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:14:20 AM »
Treasure Hunt News / May 10, 2010

U.S. officials believe they have caught Iraqis trying to smuggle a half billion dollars in gold into Syria.

Soldiers from the Army’s 3rd Armored Cavalry Division stumbled on the cache Thursday during a routine traffic stop at a checkpoint near the Syrian border, Central Command announced today.

Soldiers stopped two Iraqis driving in a Mercedes truck filled with 2,000 40-pound gold bars, Army officials say.

The two Iraqis said they believed the truck was loaded with bronze. They say someone paid them the Iraqi equivalent of just $350 to drive the bars to a meeting point near the border town of Al Qaim.

The Army plans to test the bars just to be sure that it is gold. But they now say the find may turn out to have a total worth of $500 million.

But U.S. officials are hopeful that this may be half of the $1 billion in gold believed stashed away just before the war by Saddam Hussein and his sons.

LINK: http://ht.ly/1J0Kw

I suspect those are fake gold bars or just bronze...bcoz if those are all orig gold bars, the whole water tank truck was half full with 2,000 pcs, 40 pound/bar...more or less 36 tons? I think that water truck can't carry that kind of very heavy load....I guess.  ???

Offline Gener

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:17:58 AM »
Maybe it can Gboy, as i can see the trucks in the middle east were very much strengthen to travel long distances at a time in a very arid places..besides, its a mercedez benz truck..the strongest truck in europe.

Offline Janner

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 06:23:26 AM »
if you were referring to my post (?) this was during the Iraq war, and they can carry those weights on the reinforced chassis and suspensions.

Saddam's gold. (part of it)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:32:40 AM by janner »

Offline Gboy

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »
Gentlemen,

Maybe its possible....but you can't do it here in P.I. bcoz most of our old provincial bridges are only 10-20 tons weight capacity, vehicle with cargo heavier than that, our bridge will collapse..