Author Topic: jap mortar shell  (Read 4536 times)

Offline zeeker

jap mortar shell
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:56:09 AM »
my friend found this jap mortar shell (right picture, left photo is put there for comparison)
at 4ft deep near an old "arosep" tree. they cut it in the middle with a steelsaw and all it contain is some kind of a mixture of dried wax and soil/gunpowder?
they tried to dilute a small sample with water and it dissolved.
they tried to burn a small sample and it burned.

what keeps them wondering is how come there is no other mechanism or other object inside other than the one mentioned above?
if the content of that mortar is not what's supposed to be then what it is? for what purpose?

you may have ideas that you might want to share. tia.
i will post additional pictures later.
continue the journey

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • Southeast Asia Maritime Foundation
Re: jap mortar shell
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't touch any old ammunition like that because it could be very dangerous and EXPLODE!
TW

DINDO BAYAUA

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
Had anyone found it 30 - 40 years ago, and cut it open? That would have exploded right away.

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »
my friend found this jap mortar shell (right picture, left photo is put there for comparison)
at 4ft deep near an old "arosep" tree. they cut it in the middle with a steelsaw and all it contain is some kind of a mixture of dried wax and soil/gunpowder?
they tried to dilute a small sample with water and it dissolved.
they tried to burn a small sample and it burned.

what keeps them wondering is how come there is no other mechanism or other object inside other than the one mentioned above?
if the content of that mortar is not what's supposed to be then what it is? for what purpose?

you may have ideas that you might want to share. tia.
i will post additional pictures later.

This is not a Mortar Shell.  It is a non rigged booby trap.  This is a cordite storage container, the plug unscrews and you insert a detonator.  The contents you described is decomposing explosives.  It can be used for demolition or booby traps.  Perfectly safe, the contents will only burn, it takes a concussion with flame to set it off.

Z

t_hunter44

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
Looks like the Fuse or Detonator is misssing, like the one as shown on the attached picture that sits on top of the shell.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:11:59 PM by t_hunter44 »

Offline IslandBoy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 03:16:39 AM »
EMPTY  DREAMERS     NEXT   LOCATION

Offline raquel_lyks

• Global Moderator
  • Viewing Who's Online.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 03:44:56 AM »
IslandBoy I have notice you use all caps lock letter in your post... please ignore/avoid using all caps lock , just a reminder ...

Raqz ;)
:) : Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together..:)