Author Topic: poisonous gas  (Read 20630 times)

Offline edphil

poisonous gas
« on: March 02, 2013, 01:53:34 AM »
me and my group encountered some poisonous gas in our latest project here in northern mindanao. i want to ask what should we do about this?

it makes our lungs constrict and its painful for us to breath. we tried wearing masks but our eyes would sting. hope you can help us.

Offline ghost

Re: poisonous gas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »
Ventilate it or leave it for some time, gas will eventually disperse. By the way, did you break something in your project before the gas leak?

Offline edphil

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:55:01 PM »
no. but there are masses of sands and every time we tried to took it out to dig deeper the gas would leak immediately. it seems like a tunnel.

Offline ghost

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
Probably methane gas from decomposing organic matters trapped/sandwich on sands. Poison/poison gas intentionally put contained in canisters and bottles. Methane gas in confined space tends to choke you down because it displaces oxygen.

Offline edphil

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
Thank you.

Offline edphil

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:28 PM »
To ghost, aside from ventilation, what are the other ways to disperse the gas? And is it dangerous?

Offline Martin

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 02:02:52 AM »
Put vinegar and water.
"Gold is a treasure, and he who possesses it does all he wishes to in this world, and succeeds in helping souls into paradise".

t_hunter44

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
Put vinegar and water.
   Vinegar and water, is it? You do not even know what kind of Poison gas is present and immediately you come up with Vinegar and water. I like it, more Knowledgeable people is showing up. If after Using your prescribed solution and when they go into the hole and die, who do you think is to blame, you figure it out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:57:07 PM by t_hunter44 »

Offline yokers

• yokers
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »
Hi Sir TH_44,

Can we have a definite solution to every particular gas? Hope you can give us sample solutions and techniques on how to go about it.

t_hunter44

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 12:09:12 AM »
Hi Sir TH_44,

Can we have a definite solution to every particular gas? Hope you can give us sample solutions and techniques on how to go about it.
    I already gave a lecture on that but it seems you missed it. Ok, on your Search Engine, maybe Google, Yahoo or Ask.com, Type in MSDS for Methane Gas and then Click Search and it will provide you all kinds of information. Methane Gas was just an example, type in the any Gas that you suspect instead of Methane Gas and Click Search, or any Chemical on the market today as all has an MSDS. MSDS stands for Material Safety Data Sheet.
    I suggest you Search for my Posting on MSDS as there is more information there. Shalom!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:37:45 AM by t_hunter44 »

t_hunter44

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 12:28:53 AM »
Go to"General Chat that may not be SEA or TREASURE RELATED" and the Thread on 'Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)is there.
 Click on the Link below an this is the MSDS for Methane Gas and that MSDS will provide you all the information that you need. and this is just an example.
        http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-yff19&p=Methane%20Gas%20MSDS&type=

Offline yokers

• yokers
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 12:50:56 AM »
Thanks T_H44, I appreciate it much.

Offline Yojuyo

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »
Your front digger should have a personal GAS Monitor, and escape hood or SCBA in case you trip or leak the Gas trap.
" One FAILURE doens' t matter in the great scheme of life."

Offline ZOBEX

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »
me and my group encountered some poisonous gas in our latest project here in northern mindanao. i want to ask what should we do about this?

it makes our lungs constrict and its painful for us to breath. we tried wearing masks but our eyes would sting. hope you can help us.

There are a number of sources/types of toxic "gas" that can be found in IJA treasure sites.

1) Chemical such as gasoline, various industrial chemicals and solvents
2)  Industrial chemicals for pesticides which would specifically be designed to kill (bugs).

3)  Dead Man Traps , decomposing human bodies.  These are the worst, a mixture of sulfides, oxides, fungus and bacterias.

4)  Decomposing explosives which can generate again oxides, nitrides and such.  Non-organic compounds.

5)  Poison gas devices specifically booby trap types and example is cyanide and hydrochloric acid glass cylinders smashed by a spring device.

On Mindanao we have, personally, #5 in Bukidnon which killed several people, #4 and #3 and #1 in Zamboanga.  In Negros #3.  I am rather sure it was a #1 in Bohol, was in yellow sand it really chewed up our skin and clothing.  Contaminated clothing to the point we had to throw the clothing away. 

In the case of a #5 we simply flooded the tunnel full of water, this first pushed out all the fumes as all the air was pushed out by water, then the water absorbed up the remaining Cyanide and the contaminated water was pumped out.

In the case of the #4 which was a stack of gasoline fuel drums with a naval depth charge setting on top, it was my stupid idea to punch the drums and drain out the gasoline and also punch the depth charge and remove the explosive.  Will I guess you learn by experience.  The explosive in the depth charge was extremely toxic to handle and the powder was toxic.  NEVER try to dump 500 gallons of old rancid oxidized gasoline into the ground.  That poisoned the tunnel so much we had to abandon the tunnel and dig an entirely new tunnel down to the vault.  The only way to handle the area was using a Class A chemical suit that was pressurized by an outside air pump.  BTW there was mercury and oil oxide dumped inside the vault with the treasure drums.  Again requiring a Class A suit.

#3 dead man traps.  Probably the worse of the worse.  Full of bacteria and fungus plus sulfur compounds and methane and ethane gas though probably not up to the explosive levels.  Methane gas is explosive but has no odor.  You can not smell it.  If possible flood the tunnel, pump it out and then let it thoroughly dry out.  At the least let it thoroughly ventilate.  If you inhale the fungus and bacteria and it takes root in your lungs, there is a 80-90 percent chance you will die and the treatment is VERY expensive for a Filipino, I know we have been there and done that.  The best device to purge a dead man trap is an ozone generator to pump ozone gas into the tunnel/chamber.  This will oxidize the fungus and bacteria and kill it, will also neutralize a lot of the sulfur compounds.

#2 either wash it out or use a Class A chemical suit.  No real way to neutralize it.

#1  ventilate it, ozone will have only a small effect on it.

Always use a blower and ventilation system for fresh air.  When in doubt the lead working crew should have military surplus "gas" masks.  Use a signal line either by electrical line and switch or at least a yank rope.  It is nice to have a intercom line with mike and speaker on each end, head sets will work.  Scuba tanks are a very nice plus.  Remember under excitement an 80cu tank may only last you about 18 minutes or less pending your size and activity.  Scuba tanks won't work for working diggers.  You can use Scuba masks when you run  a compressed airline all the way in from the outside.  We have done all of these combination's.

Just small experience with this mess, you will most always find new combination's and problems out there.

Z

Offline renantiur

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »

thanks zobex. im truly amazed by these kind of stories- true to life experiences learned from the field.

one of my friends - an industrialist-chemical engineer based in japan also had the same advice as regards chemicals found in tunnels and during digs- just flood it with water and/or blow it with air (expose it in open air= or oxidize).               

do you have more experiences , zobex regarding chemicals?