Author Topic: Gas Mask for methene gas use in YTH  (Read 6996 times)

Offline vourvon

Gas Mask for methene gas use in YTH
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »
To all,

Where I can buy here in the Philippines a gas mask for methene gas to use in my recent project bcoz my men encountered a pressured leak of same odor of LPG during his last hit of chinsel on the flooring of the hole in 144 ft. ( ace hardware have but can use for a light toxin only ). Or any other way.

Thank you.

Offline twobox

Re: Gas Mask for methene gas use in YTH
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:20:27 PM »
Gas leak at 144 ft, good thing your man did not pass out...you need an oxygen tank and mask for that kind of job...methane is combustible so you guys be careful out there...

t_hunter44

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »
Vourvon,
     Methane gas is highly combustible and it displaces oxygen. You will need an OBA gas mask(Oygen Breathing Apparatus) used by the military when entering voids or compartments lacking oxgen but I doubt if OBA is available in the Philippines in commercial places. Twobox idea will work too but how can one work lugging an oxygen tank and wearing a gas mask. Your best bet will be to introduce fresh air to your hole by using an axial fan or blower from the outside and you will need a duct hose long enough to get to the bottom of your hole. Do not use the blower inside the hole as an electrical spark might cause the methane gas to ignite. I hope that helps. At 144 feet, are you sure you are on the right track. Anyway, Good Luck.

Gener

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »
Methane is quite dangerous and presence of it is difficult to observe, at that depth of 144,,,possible appearance of it cannot be ignored...You can actually see it by observing thru flashlight,,,its a bluish thin color and floating just few feet from the ground...if in case that accidentaly you incountered it on your path,,,get out from the tunnel by crawling and nose almost touching the ground..blower is the best solution of it but always put a guard on its engine outside the tunnel as to warn people inside in case the engine got damaged....blow the airblower at least one hour before proceeding to detoxicate your hole.....

Offline vourvon

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:49:50 PM »
twobox & t_hunter44,

Thanks for the advised, my project is on the top of the mountain where the stone with eye, looking the direction about 40 meters my partner luckyly found the opening hole where the treasure get vertically and the suspected closed mouth of tunnel at the right side of small falls is 50 meters and 45 degree away from the top hole and I assumed the the methene gas is came from the POW killed inside manmade tunnel so once the methene gas exit at the hole everything is okey, the gas leak encountered by my men is initial leak only bcoz the tunnel end is not yet fully open. The oxygen on the hole is not a problem bcoz the air is easy to enter.
     Finally I saw my old stock of gas mask ( 3M 6000 6pcs.) I buy in UK by RS Phil. last 2002 with Olympus ABEK 1 EN. 141 dual filter ( 1 pair only ) that can protect the human in all kind of gas and I need extra filter, problem 2 weeks after I purchase before I receive the item anyway 1 of the co-hunter inform me that many store in Quiapo where I can buy many kinds of gas mask.
     And if our friend in this forum share the info regarding where I can buy gas mask is also welcome and thank you.

t_hunter44

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:50:42 AM »
Vourvon,
       I think you missed the point. Methane gas displaces oxygen and a gas mask with filter is not going to do any good to your people, asphyxiation is your enemy, your life support is oxygen and without it you perish. Either you purge your hole with a blower, buy an Oxygen breating apparatus or take the advise of twobox, no two ways about it, Your decision, we are just giving advise, take it for what it is worth.

Offline verdian

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:23:16 PM »

i suggest you buy a compressor and introduced air to that hole.thats the easiest and cheapest way,then go to military surplus store and buy a gas mask.

Offline twobox

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »
Vorvoun,

Thats the most dangerous part of it, a tunnel long been blocked and suddenly opened gases in there will be toxic i've seen it in the mines before.

Thunter 44,

Havn't you seen a gas mask with oxygen pack, they use that in mine rescue operations in the philippines specially by Philex Mine Rescue Team...

t_hunter44

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 06:16:43 PM »
Twobox,
       I do not know what Philex uses but in the US Navy we use OBA, not only have I seen it, was trained and have used it.  OBA is a standard  euipment in tye US Navy and there should be enough OBA and Oxygen Canisters for every sailor on the ship. The  canister produces oxygen by chemical process and  is used for NBC, Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare . Warning, cannot have direct contact with fire as oxygen is highly flammable and explosive in pure form.